Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Could I see pictures of your hen houses please?!  (Read 11037 times)

loosey

• Joined May 2010
  • Cornwall
Could I see pictures of your hen houses please?!
« on: July 21, 2010, 01:29:33 pm »
I have managed to get Rob to agree to building me some chicken houses but we need some inspiration!

Can you show me your chooks accommodation please?! :chook: ;D

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Could I see pictures of your hen houses please?!
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 01:35:23 pm »
Don't bother - you'll be almost as much for the wood as you would buying the basic garden sheds from your local DIY place and very little labour putting them together - plus they are walk in height so easy to clean.  Just need a pop hole in the door.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

TheCaptain

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 02:53:26 pm »
Build it with pallets!  I'm embarking on said project when I'm on 'holiday' from work after Langdon recommended the book (well done that man!).  I will post pictures when complete (probably in about 2 years when I get around to finishing it - there's just not enough hours in the day...)

HappyHippy

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 03:53:06 pm »
Our's is just a 6x4 shed  ;D
Inside has been split so that there's room to store bits and pieces and an area behind for the chickens. We inherited this one and are about to make some changes to it, so we can keep a few more (only got 2 at the moment) We're going to take out the box and make 2 external nest boxes and run a couple of big chunky perches across the width of the shed. Oh yeah, and take out the high shelf that I keep bumping my head on - though hubby's hopefull it'll knock some sense into me  ;) ;D

woodlandproductsfife

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010, 04:25:51 pm »
you can veiw mine at www.woodlandproductsfife.com feel free to copy it if you wish, I would be happy to prvide the sizes.

Craig
Craig

jacob and Georgina

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2010, 06:10:11 pm »
would have to agree that a shed is the cheapest option especially given the prices of sheds these days no ideas how they make them so cheap?? i am just pricing up my new hen house which will be 4.2mX2.4 and tall enough for me to stand up in with 6 nest boxes fixed to the side, the timber will be costing me around £600 for 2x2 frame and 19mm shiplap cladding. Unless you are after a thing of beauty i would go for a bog standerd shed!!

bamford6

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2010, 06:12:20 pm »
send youre e mail il pass some over

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2010, 10:03:17 pm »
focus have a basic shiplap? shed for £109 it may have come down seeing as it is not really peak time, maybe worth looking on supermarket noticeboards

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2010, 12:05:33 am »
focus have a basic shiplap? shed for £109 it may have come down seeing as it is not really peak time, maybe worth looking on supermarket noticeboards
That's what I have.  Excellent for the price I think - and I got 10% off for being an OAP!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

loosey

• Joined May 2010
  • Cornwall
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2010, 08:04:46 am »
We have loads of left over timber from building my stables and also a fair amount of ship lap which is currently redundant so I thought we'd try and put it to good use!

I shall investgate sheds as will need one for my turkeys! :)

TheCaptain

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2010, 09:50:21 am »
there are bargains to be had on Supermarket noticeboards and in your regional weekly magazines (whatever they're called).  There is some rubbish out there but we picked up a gleaming one for our turkeys for £30 and one that required a minimal amount of work for £20!

loosey

• Joined May 2010
  • Cornwall
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2010, 01:58:37 pm »
I want to live where you do Captain! The cheapest I've seen second hand hen houses suitable for more than 6 chickens in the paper etc is £120 but they get snapped up straight away and I haven;t been lucky enough to catch one yet! The rest are upwards of £165in poor condition! :o

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2010, 02:35:43 pm »
That's what I have.  Excellent for the price I think - and I got 10% off for being an OAP!
we just bought one the other day and got 15% off.  couple of hours and it was built!  now have 7 large hens happily living in it - havent even bothered with a pop hole yet - just prop the door open

TheCaptain

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2010, 03:50:46 pm »
I want to live where you do Captain! The cheapest I've seen second hand hen houses suitable for more than 6 chickens in the paper etc is £120 but they get snapped up straight away and I haven;t been lucky enough to catch one yet! The rest are upwards of £165in poor condition! :o

Trust me, I've seen some really naff ones that wouldn't even make it as firewood!!!

terryh

• Joined Apr 2010
  • rugeley uk
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2010, 05:45:50 pm »
i have a shed that is taking a lot of space in my garden that i built my self wood has gone through the roof how they make them so cheap is beyond me
it is 20ft by 16 ft i think its time to shorten it and have more room for the chicken  don't know wat my poor suffering wife chris  is going to say about it
time for some flowers me thinks  ;D

« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 06:01:03 pm by terryh »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS