Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ducks!  (Read 3481 times)

loosey

• Joined May 2010
  • Cornwall
Ducks!
« on: July 21, 2010, 09:03:51 am »
 :&> :&>

When I was young my grandad bred and showed ducks and chickens and also reared them for meat.

We weren't planning on getting any ducks until next year but at an auction this weekend, we picked up two big duck houses for £12!!

I want indian runners and have always like the orpington ducks. Does anyone have experience with a good utility breed that would provide us with good eggs and a good carcass for the table? We're still open to suggestions! :-\

Also, what have you all done about ponds? Have you dug out and created proper ponds or used old childrens sand pits etc?

Lastly, will I need to clip their wings? I presume I would? I have had little experience with ducks since I was 8 and used to put talcum powder in their feathers for Grandad before the County Show! I think some research is in order! ;D

piggy

• Joined Oct 2008
Re: Ducks!
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 11:12:52 am »
I have some Alysburys,i use a pond liner semi dug into ground but i do have to empty it every week as they make such a mess in it,they have not had there wings clipped they only flap about never tryed to fly out of there pen.

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 12:22:51 pm »
None of my ducks have their wings clipped and they enjoy a free range life. They spend most of the day on the river that goes along side my land, this is a wide stretch of tital water and they love it. If they are happy and looked after where they are they shouldn't take off, I aslo have 5 geese and none of them are cliped either. They all go for miles down the river and always come back home. I think its good that they have the chance to fly if they are threatened.

loosey

• Joined May 2010
  • Cornwall
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 12:58:07 pm »
Thanks for your replies! I will maybe see how they go and hopefully not clip if we don't have to then!

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010, 12:58:54 pm »
share James view - though the fox still took 2 of our ducks a couple of years ago - think they got too bit to fly out of danger

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2010, 01:36:55 pm »
Mine don't seem to fly at all, Swedish Blue drake possibly occasionally from the high end of teh garden to the lower end.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2010, 12:18:12 am »
Stu just checked the eggs with me and we reckon there are 9 viable eggs in the incubator - due around 2nd August.  Hope they keep on growing.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

woodlandproductsfife

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2010, 10:36:02 pm »
Hey Doganjo, What breed you have in the incubator? Did your own stock lay them? or you buy them in?

Craig
Craig

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2010, 11:37:37 pm »
I have a Swedish Blue drake and two Khaki Campbell ducks.  We saved 10 eggs over a few days and 9 seem to be fertile.  Wouldn't have incubated as I don't want ahwol heap of drakes, but they are mostly for a friend who is on holiday - he will take over looking after any that hatch when they come home

woodlandproductsfife

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2010, 12:03:12 am »
ok was just curious.

Craig
Craig

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2010, 11:15:28 am »
You're welcome, Chris.  It's fun incubating them, and it will entertain my grandkids when they visit today and over the next few weeks.  They'll be called over when they start to hatch.  A good learning experience for them.  I'll post photos here too.

woodlandproductsfife

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2010, 07:20:40 pm »
Chris? that to me? lol Its great to see. I was like a kid when I done my first chinese painted quails. its an awesome site!!!
Craig

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2010, 10:07:43 pm »
Chris? that to me? lol Its great to see. I was like a kid when I done my first chinese painted quails. its an awesome site!!!
Sorry, meant Craig - call it senility......................... but not if you value your life ;D ;D ;D ;D

woodlandproductsfife

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2010, 10:17:15 pm »
ok ok ok my lips are sealed!!!!
Craig

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2010, 10:18:01 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS