Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Bird Theft  (Read 4919 times)

Andrew

• Joined Dec 2007
Bird Theft
« on: August 25, 2008, 10:21:43 am »
We have had our 13 chickens stolen from our land along with all their feeders and drinkers. They were all there when I locked them up on Saturday evening and away by 7am on Sunday.
We are based near Glasgow and if anyone hears or knows of someone who has suspiciously acquired 4 Black Rocks,3 Partridge Wyandottes, 2 Scots Greys, 1 Light Sussex and 3 Sussex crosses either pm me or contact the police at Balfron.

The Black Rocks are all laying and all the others are 16 week old pullets which were our first birds that we had hatched ourselves.

We will also have to reassess our security and if anyone has any advice it would be gratefully received. The birds are kept about 1 mile from our house in a fenced field but with no houses close by and a B road which runs past. The coops were visible from the road and we think that the thieves had spotted them and then returned during the hours of darkness.
 >:( :(

greenfingers

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Grange by Keith, Banffshire
Re: Bird Theft
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2008, 01:25:29 pm »
Hi Andrew,
Sorry to hear about your birds, is nothing safe nowadays. I have heard of some strange items being stolen, but this is silly, chicken rustling not sheep.
Elaine
Elaine

Always look on the bright side of life, de dum, de dum de dum, de dum!!

rustyme

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2008, 07:05:22 pm »
sadly not that silly nowdays, when you consider the price of chickens (pure breds £15-£25 each and more for some!!) and now you even have to think of the cost of eggs !!!! We are living in strange times thats for sure.  Just this last week I went down to my land (2.5 miles away) and someone had put a rope around the wooden gate into my land and pulled it in half . The actual top bar (4"x3") was snapped in half , and the vertical post at the open end which was chained to the post was completely pulled off. They left 4x4 tyre tracks in the land , but apart from turning round they took nothing . I just hope they were poachers that were after rabbits or foxes and couldn't see to reverse the 400 yard track ( very hard to do in the dark ) . The horses were very spooked when I went down there . All ok now and the gate repaired , so I hope that is the end of it . I think I may end up having to get a cctv 12volt system set up down there though , not cheap ,as it has to all be stand alone down there ( no electricity ) , so that means 12volt (no problem) wireless ( not too much of a problem ) and with it's own motherboard and hard drive
( thats the crunch bit ) ! That is the part I think I will have to just make , as I think I have seen them for sale but they were very very dear.  The whole system should be able to be setup for £100-£200, but it is now the wrong time of year for me to spend that sort of money . However, if the gate gets broken again , and can't be repaired , how much will it cost to replace ? Well I now have nearly got  my forge and woodwork shed setup , so I would make one , but none the less it is all time and money so to speak . Anyway Andrew getting back to your problem , cctv may be the way to go , not an in your face visable one ( it would just get smashed) but a hidden one ,or more!!! It wouldn't stop things from going, but you would at least know who the ba***rds were that took them .  I hope you get your chicks back , things are one thing , animals are different , you get attatched.....well I do ....

best wishes Russ

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2008, 08:15:52 pm »
We hope you get them back too. There was an article in the Scottish Farmer last week about poutry being stolen - it's now highly desirable, so there will be a market.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2008, 11:43:08 pm »
Andrew, I was horrified when you told us about your chickens on Sunday.  It had never even occurred to me that chickens might be stolen.  I suppose the positive way to look at it is them taking the feeders and drinkers too, they wouldn't need them if they were going to do what I thought.
Hope you get news of them soon.  I don't suppose the Police will take it serioulsy though!
Glad I have dogs and my birds are beside the house.  Hopefully the dogs would hear anything going on, although they are a dozey bunch at night. ;)
Annie
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Andrew

• Joined Dec 2007
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2008, 11:07:40 am »
 We would like to thank everyone for their kind words, support, suggestions and offers of birds to replace our flock. Two of our local papers have also published details of what happened. We are going to work on additional security measures and then will start restocking as unfortunately I think there is virtually no chance of seeing our birds again although we will still keep our eyes and ears open for any information.

The main positive that we can take from this is confirmation that all at TAS are  very friendly & caring people. You all have no idea how much you have helped us and convinced us to carry on when our initial reaction was not to keep birds again.  Thank you so much. Andrew & Janis

greenfingers

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Grange by Keith, Banffshire
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2008, 06:42:31 pm »
Hi Andrew & Janis,
I'm glad that you are going to re-stock your flock of chickens and you have decided to carry on.
I hope you have better luck this time, I have only had mine for 4 weeks now and I would not be without them.
Elaine
Elaine

Always look on the bright side of life, de dum, de dum de dum, de dum!!

Townie

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Fife
    • http://www.townie.wordpress.com
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2008, 07:52:18 pm »
Sorry to hear about the theft of your chickens .. absolutely shocking the lengths some people will go to to  :-\

Last weekend, I went out to let my chickens out when i got up, and one of the doors to the pekins coop had been pulled open about an inch, I always lock them up at night with a carabine clip, hence the door only opening up slightly.

I'm sleeping with the windows open now just incase and getting up if the dogs bark just to check everything is ok.

Pebbles

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Central Scotland
    • Ardunan Farm
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2008, 09:04:02 am »
Oh Andrew, I'm so, so sorry this has happened to you and Janis.

Security is very much on our minds too. The stud farm next door to us had a horse box stolen last week along with thousands of pounds of tools and fencing equipment belonging to their builders! The police have become much more noticeable with frequent 'drive pasts'.

Security for things which can be easily carried is going to be difficult - the thieves can always just hop over the gate! I'm thinking lighting is the best deterent - or electric fencing around the parameter (even the gate if possible).

If David or I can be of any help just call.

Pebbles

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS