Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Income from Paddocks  (Read 4430 times)

Bella

• Joined Aug 2008
Income from Paddocks
« on: August 23, 2008, 10:33:41 am »
Hi, I'm just starting out and looking at my first small holding.  It is larger than I would like for my first place, but it is in the area I would like so I may go ahead and buy it.  But, I would need to earn some income from the paddocks and any advice or direction as to how would be gratefully received.  I have been looking for somewhere to find out how I can make good use of them, and make some money to help with the costs e.g how to rent out to people to keep horses etc.  There is planning permission to build a stable/tack room at the paddocks.  Thanks, Bella.

Francis Bacon

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Belabre, France
Re: Income from Paddocks
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2008, 01:13:13 pm »
Hi Bella,

I think it's a marvelous idea, perhaps you could take a look at some websites of Horse Stables, livery etc around your area & find out what people are offering & at what cost - Would give you some idea. 
Donna
I Love mornings - I just wish they came later in the day!

rustyme

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2008, 01:50:12 pm »
you could also just grow a crop of hay on them , 110-120 small bales per acre @£2-£3.50 per bale is not a bad income for not much work .You would have to take off the cost of cutting and baling , but still good money . Also, prices may be more where you are and no doubt will be higher by this time next year, worth a thought if you can't get anything else sorted in time .

Russ

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2008, 06:07:06 pm »
Good idea, Russ. Good horse hay is always in demand.

jacyjones

• Joined Jun 2008
  • Aberystwyth, Mid Wales
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2008, 09:26:20 pm »
you could also just grow a crop of hay on them , 110-120 small bales per acre @£2-£3.50 per bale is not a bad income for not much work .You would have to take off the cost of cutting and baling , but still good money . Also, prices may be more where you are and no doubt will be higher by this time next year, worth a thought if you can't get anything else sorted in time .

Russ
I am paying £4 a bale now as a result of this weather!
Husband, 2 teenage daughters, 1 horse, 2 Springers, 2 White khaki campbells, 5 black rocks, 1 warren and 2 pet rats :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS