Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: RWAS Smallholding and Garden Festival - worth a visit?  (Read 4542 times)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
RWAS Smallholding and Garden Festival - worth a visit?
« on: July 29, 2008, 11:36:46 am »
I was wondering if anyone had visited the RWAS Smallholding and Garden Festival in May and, if so, how it rated. Is it really interesting and useful for practising smallholders or is it mainly public facing (I'm not expressing that very well but I hope you'll understand what I mean).

The reason I ask is that our Smallholders Association will be putting together a programme of events for next year and I wondered if it was worth a visit. I also wondered if we could combine it with a visit to the Centre for Alternative Technology, over a weekend.

Thoughts on either would be welcome.

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
  • Dust yourself off when life throws you down.
Re: RWAS Smallholding and Garden Festival - worth a visit?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 10:05:01 pm »
Have visited and also helped on the coloured Ryeland stand at the Royal Welsh Smallholding Show. Well worth a visit as geared towards the smallholder rather than the farmer.
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
  • Dust yourself off when life throws you down.
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 10:07:39 pm »
You would definately need one day for the RWAS smallholding festival check which day as different events, and the centre for alternate technology is an eye opener, well worth a visit.
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 12:02:33 am »
Smallholders Association

What criteria do you need to join this, Rosemary?

Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2008, 07:55:36 am »
You have to be breathing! If you are a smallholder, aspiring smallholder, dreaming of being a smallholder, you are most welcome.

You can live anywhere, but meetings are usually in Stirling and events are round the Central Scotland area. We're planning a barbeque at ours on 24th August and the first "proper" meeting is in October when we are having a panel night on selling produce with representatives from Trading Standards, Environmental Health, Whole Food Association and Scottish Association of Farmers' Markets.

We also have a stand at Ashfield Food Festival on 21st September.

Our website if www.smallholders.info

Hope you decide to join.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2008, 12:51:03 pm »
Have downloaded form just off out to post now
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

greenfingers

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Grange by Keith, Banffshire
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2008, 05:26:20 pm »
Hi Rosemary,
What time would the events & BBQ start, we live about 3 1/2 hrs away from you and I may have to work that morning, but I could change it.
Elaine
Elaine

Always look on the bright side of life, de dum, de dum de dum, de dum!!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2008, 09:02:47 pm »
Heavens, don't know yet. Carol will email all members with details - probably late afternoon. Just in time for the midges!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS