Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: My garden  (Read 13931 times)

storm35

• Joined May 2010
My garden
« on: July 15, 2010, 04:15:58 pm »
I have a huge back garden since moving here it has not beren touched for 3 years, now i started out by using a sythe, and stripping it down, now i have a small space, i have dug it up and theres thousands of weeds and roots, i feel like i am getting nowhere and thats only a small part of the garden, do i have to pull out every single root?

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
Re: My garden
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2010, 06:20:34 pm »
No spray it with an approved herbicide rake the dead stuff up and burn it.Then hire a small tractor and cultivate the exposed ground. Then you can plant it with leeks and winter brassicas.Then plan next years cropping :farmer:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

storm35

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 10:08:06 pm »
No spray it with an approved herbicide rake the dead stuff up and burn it.Then hire a small tractor and cultivate the exposed ground. Then you can plant it with leeks and winter brassicas.Then plan next years cropping :farmer:

Thank you, if i hired a tractor how would i get it here, no idea how they work or how to cultivate lol am not very good at these things lol?

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 10:15:58 pm »
The firm you hire it from will deliver and some even an opperator :farmer: :wave:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

storm35

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2010, 10:32:22 pm »
The firm you hire it from will deliver and some even an opperator :farmer: :wave:

Oh now thats not a bad idea, will see about that, thank you. xx

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2010, 10:07:42 am »
This is the joy of this TAS Storm .It has a lot of people that can help and quite a few that offer their services manually as well. Please ask, some one knows and if you look on the directories there are very few that has not had a reply.So whats a ? Some one will know and tell you and more than likely how to use it.All you need do is ask.Don't struggle and then say I didn't like to ask.I know lots about farms and gardens that I have learnt over the last 70 years.I don't know much about compooters I can switch it on and make it write letters on here and Compile and edit video from my camcorder.Being none compooter literate Thats about it :D ??? :D ;D :farmer: :wave:

storm35

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2010, 01:37:59 pm »
This is the joy of this TAS Storm .It has a lot of people that can help and quite a few that offer their services manually as well. Please ask, some one knows and if you look on the directories there are very few that has not had a reply.So whats a ? Some one will know and tell you and more than likely how to use it.All you need do is ask.Don't struggle and then say I didn't like to ask.I know lots about farms and gardens that I have learnt over the last 70 years.I don't know much about compooters I can switch it on and make it write letters on here and Compile and edit video from my camcorder.Being none compooter literate Thats about it :D ??? :D ;D :farmer: :wave:

Thanks Wizard, will find out about a tractor but we have not got much money so if its too expensive i will do it the hard way and maybe get it done in a years time lol.

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2010, 04:32:12 pm »
Storm Ive just had a brain storm coming back down nicely How about "Bob a Job" or is that something else thats long gone.See if a small ad in the local shop window gets you a labour force.Whats it cost up your way its free in Tesco and Morrison There is a good board in the local post office that reads along these lines Gardener looking for part time work ring ****** and I will call to see the job. So you will place card WANTED part time gardener ring ****** for a meet on site :D :farmer: :wave:

storm35

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2010, 05:36:48 pm »
Storm Ive just had a brain storm coming back down nicely How about "Bob a Job" or is that something else thats long gone.See if a small ad in the local shop window gets you a labour force.Whats it cost up your way its free in Tesco and Morrison There is a good board in the local post office that reads along these lines Gardener looking for part time work ring ****** and I will call to see the job. So you will place card WANTED part time gardener ring ****** for a meet on site :D :farmer: :wave:

Thats a fab idea, as  we have the village post office about 4 miles away i can do that, yes thank you, :) Will let you know how i get on xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2010, 10:41:50 pm »
You can spray with a herbicide, then cover with black plastic over winter and dig + manure as you go along, or even better, get a couple of  fattening pigs (if you are allowed, you will need a holding number), give them small area (and move on after they have thrashed it), they will clear it for you and manure, then plant potatoes or anything else that needs lots of manure next year.

What we did when we first started, was built raised beds, turned over the clods of grass etc, added manure and lots of soil at the top. Worked fine. We started with a couple of beds, (but had a complete layout planned), and have added on beds each year.

Sandy

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2010, 10:58:11 pm »
Pigs would be great but not suitable in every occasion..what about old carpet on the top!!!!! leave than the weeds die and are much easier to get rid of.

Mickyork

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Yeadingham, North Yorkshire
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2010, 11:52:34 pm »
My 'gardens' had not been touched in over 7 years. It has taken me a long time to get one in any sort of state for planting. I cleared it with a machete & a strimmer, then cleared small areas & placed tyres above the cleared areas & planted in them. I removed every root & blade of grass.
As I clear an area I dig in lots of cow & horse muck. I wish I could get some sort of tractor in to help me but cos of the position of the garden I can't.   The large 'garden' will be cleared enough to get a pig ark & some roaming room & I am gonna let them clear it. That's next year though the way things are going.
Live for today. Tomorrow never comes

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2010, 07:45:24 am »
Mick. I hope you are well enough off to afford some good posts and proper pig wire :D There is nowt like a couple of pigs for a dig in and they eat a lot of the roots they dig out as well.Don't give them to big an area at a time Do it like the shepherd folds his sheep.They will quickly have a area cleared for you to work.Well mine always used to.Theres nowt like chasing a couple of Tammys all over the village after coming back from a couple and a good Sunday Lunch cos the electric fencer didn't keep em in  ;D :farmer:

storm35

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2010, 10:00:26 pm »
Well the ad has been up for a week now, no replys :(  I would love to get a couple of pigs, but the way the garden is, it would all need fenced off, will be quite expensive, i am not working anymore and my partner has a rubbish wage, will take a pic of the garden tomorrow for you and let you all see it, its quite a big garden, went up today and just looked at it and walked away, its too much, wanted it for fruti and veg, so i am giving up slowly lol.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2010, 10:29:56 pm »
Don't give up,Storm!  Remember the old sayings - 'I love babies but couldn't eat a whole one' and 'slowly, slowly, catchee monkey'  Take your garden a bit at a time - I am trying to do that too.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS