Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lamb  (Read 4296 times)

storm35

• Joined May 2010
Lamb
« on: July 15, 2010, 04:00:57 pm »
Hope this does not offend anyone, but i was told that if you live on a farm, you can ask the farmer if he would let you buy a lamb, and then you can get his butcher to slaughter it, is this right? Not sure i could go ahead with it, but i am kjust curious if this is what some people do that do not have a smallholding?

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Lamb
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2010, 09:20:38 pm »
You can buy a the lamb (alive), get the farmer to deliver it to the abattoir (from his holding) and then get it delivered to the butcher for cutting up etc (nost local butchers will have a contract with local abattoir), and you collect from butcher (and pay him for cutting and slaughter usually too). My butcher charged this year 40quid per lamb/mutton incl slaughter. If you do a private kill at slaughterhouse and pay them its dearer.

(This is Scotland, cant remember where you are based... but seem to think its Scotland????)

If you want to take the offal too you have to go and collect from abattoir yourself on the day and dissect at home as its all in one large piece (good biology lesson for kids).

sheepish_too

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 09:53:50 pm »
£40 to kill and cut?

I know it depends on where you are but our local abattoir will kill and cut a lamb for £14. It all comes back in one bag with a bit of bone dust still on, but still, £14.

Your problem with getting a farmer to deliver to the abattoir is just how much of his day he'll waste doing that for a few quid. Hopefully they go once or twice a year for friends and family can could tag one on for you. How about taking a trip to your local farmers market. I doubt there is one in the country without a lamb producer, and they'll definitely sell you a half or whole lamb.

Or why arrange to get a whole carcass and butcher yourself. Really not difficult and very satisfying.

storm35

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 10:03:24 pm »
Thank you, sounds not too bad, i would not know where to srat for arranging it myself, i can ask the farmer i live on his land, but if he wont do it then, where would i go, no farmers markets near me?
I live in Scotland.

piggy

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2010, 11:13:20 pm »
This was the first sending of our sheep as we only had pigs before but we have just got the 2 sheep back that i sent and the bill was £62 for everything,yes we took them to the abbotir but they were then delivered to the butcher who cut them as my request,considering what i pay for the pigs i nearly fell down with joy.

sheepish_too

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2010, 11:47:48 pm »
If the farmer will let you borrow a stock trailer to transport lamby there is nothing to stop you doing it yourself. You can take one lamb on your own without restrictions as a transporter. You only need a transport license if the abattoir is more than about 40 miles away (I forget the exact distance) and there are more lambs than people in the car. Your farmer will have the movement license. I'd not like to take one lamb if I could avoid it, just like to keep them with a friend to minimize stress as much as possible.

I'm amazed there are no farmers markets close-ish. There seems to be one every 20 miles in south wales. I know things can be a bit more, err, spread out north of the border of the place east of the border.

storm35

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2010, 01:40:43 pm »
If the farmer will let you borrow a stock trailer to transport lamby there is nothing to stop you doing it yourself. You can take one lamb on your own without restrictions as a transporter. You only need a transport license if the abattoir is more than about 40 miles away (I forget the exact distance) and there are more lambs than people in the car. Your farmer will have the movement license. I'd not like to take one lamb if I could avoid it, just like to keep them with a friend to minimize stress as much as possible.

I'm amazed there are no farmers markets close-ish. There seems to be one every 20 miles in south wales. I know things can be a bit more, err, spread out north of the border of the place east of the border.

I have not got a towbar on the car, so wondering if maybe the farmer would take the lamb with his for me, must go and see what he says about it.
Farmers markets you get a few advertised in the paper but not in Galashiels, will keep looking though, what do you get at farmers markets, never been to one, is it produce and thats all?

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2010, 07:38:55 pm »

I take my lambs to Galashiels for slaughter so if you are near there it would not take the Farmer long to deliver to the abattoir, unfortunately all mine are sold this year or I would have offered to sell you one of mine.
Anne

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2010, 10:13:47 pm »
Well it seems costwise its dearer up here, and 40 quid includes the kill, transport to butcher and butcher cutting up to my request (It also was hanging a couple of weeks!).

Storm, I think most farmers around here (unless you know them personally) will not sell you a lamb just for slaughter, but probably will do so if they know you. I have a Shetland hogget wether that will need to go to slaughter in early autumn as one of his horns is growing inwards, and it needs regular cutting, so I think I will not keep him over winter. If you are interested let me know, I am near St Boswells, and we could probably take him to Gala for you (when we take some other in too). Gala delivers to most butchers in the area.

storm35

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2010, 10:59:05 pm »

I take my lambs to Galashiels for slaughter so if you are near there it would not take the Farmer long to deliver to the abattoir, unfortunately all mine are sold this year or I would have offered to sell you one of mine.

Aww thank you, that is kind of you, maybe next year then.  I am in Galashiels a lot, not far from there.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 11:02:55 pm by storm35 »

storm35

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2010, 11:01:30 pm »
Well it seems costwise its dearer up here, and 40 quid includes the kill, transport to butcher and butcher cutting up to my request (It also was hanging a couple of weeks!).

Storm, I think most farmers around here (unless you know them personally) will not sell you a lamb just for slaughter, but probably will do so if they know you. I have a Shetland hogget wether that will need to go to slaughter in early autumn as one of his horns is growing inwards, and it needs regular cutting, so I think I will not keep him over winter. If you are interested let me know, I am near St Boswells, and we could probably take him to Gala for you (when we take some other in too). Gala delivers to most butchers in the area.

Oh yes that would be wonderful, St boswells is not far, i used to live in Earlston, is a hogget a young sheep?
That would be lovely, can you pm me the details and how much it would be, so i can save up lol? xxxx

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS