Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Oxford Sandy and Blacks - Budgeting  (Read 2918 times)

elliemai

• Joined Jul 2010
Oxford Sandy and Blacks - Budgeting
« on: July 14, 2010, 11:21:01 pm »
Hi,

I'm just budgeting how much it would be for me to keep 2 Oxford Sandy and Blacks.

The land I have can only keep two and I want to work out if its financially viable.

I've costed out everything I need to buy. I intend to keep them for 6-7 months. The only thing is I can't work out what I'm likely to get back from the meat. Does anyone have any experience with the types of meat I'm likely to get from them. I'd like sausages and bacon as well as belly etc if possible. Also what I am likely to be able to sell these bits on for.

Many thanks

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
Re: Oxford Sandy and Blacks - Budgeting
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2010, 05:58:03 am »
The amount you can sell your pork for really depends on what area you are in and what competition you have.  It is worth looking around to see what others are selling theirs for.....Also make sure you would have a market for your meat, 2 osb pigs at 8 - 9 months (presuming you buy them at weaners) would produce a lot of meat.

There was a post in the pig section to look at, where WP put down all his costs for keeping his pigs and what he sold the meat for.

Let us know how you get on.

Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2010, 11:24:28 pm »
I'm based in Hertfordshire and I sell our 6 month olds for £175 per half pig.

How much meat? I don't know about weights except that from 2 whole pigs last year we had 23 or 24 kilogrammes of mince (I was going to write down what we got back but didn't get 'round to it), and one whole pig filled one 6 foot tall standing freezer. A butcher would be able to tell you.

Eve  :wave:

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Belcoo, Enniskillen, N.Ireland
  • Crazy Pig Lover
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2010, 11:06:14 am »
you say you have worked out your costs does this include your feed bill ? Generally if you know this you can work out your "profit " margin if fed well especially in the early months  you should get a good size carcase perhaps in the region of 60-80 kgs  divide your costs by the weight to see what you need to charge to cover costs and add a little on for "profit".  Generally it's a good idea to get plenty of sausages made as these make your meat go further and add to "profit".We find it better to produce a course cut sausage rather than the mushy supermarket style ones as it show cases the meat so much better;and makes your sausage stand out from the crowd.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS