Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Livestock numbers and regulations on smallholding  (Read 3363 times)

Jimmy 84

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Suffolk
Livestock numbers and regulations on smallholding
« on: November 14, 2017, 08:17:16 pm »
Good evening everyone,

I'm after some advise.

I currently farm wild boar for meat in woodland i own and business is moving along well and we slaughter around 40+ per year. I'm  running  10 wild boar sows and a boar. I've now rented some more land adjacent to my woodland which has basically doubled the size of my holding. My intention is to start a herd of rare breed pigs of around 15 sows and 2 boars selling weaners and growing some on for pork/bacon etc. 

If business goes the way we are hoping then long term we will be looking to build the business further and our aim is to run a small business where everything but the slaughter of the rare breed pigs is contained within the holding.

However, after talking to friend of mine today who works in the agricultural sector, he is under the impression that i would no longer fall into the same category as a smallholding and therefor fall under different regulations because i would have to much head of livestock. Is this the case? if so where can i find these regulations as i cannot seem to find them anywhere.

I would be grateful if anyone could shed some light on the above or whether i'm being miss informed.

Many thanks

Jim

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
Re: Livestock numbers and regulations on smallholding
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 08:19:34 pm »
No idea what he means.   Pig husbandry comes under same rules and regs whether you have 1 or 100 pigs.
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 10:00:08 pm »
I don't think there is any legal definition of a smallholding.  Maybe he's thinking of the official smallholdings set up after the wars to provide livelihoods for ex servicemen, which were of the same size, but whether they had rules governing how they were run, I don't know.  Or maybe he's thinking of VAT rules.
Sounds like you need to speak to your friend again for clarification.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 11:07:38 pm »
I think there might be something about pigs in volume, you know.  There’s some bit on the movement form that relates to batches or something... ???
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2017, 09:27:59 am »
I think there might be something about pigs in volume, you know.  There’s some bit on the movement form that relates to batches or something... ???

Sometimes pigs are born at one unit, grown on at another and those units are part of a pig pyramid but it doesn't affect the vast majority of us.

I don't know what your friend is talking about either although I can see even 10 sows might not be considered a smallholding in some peoples eyes. Some insurers might not class you as one either. Apart from that meat production for the public is the same rules for everyone whether 1 pig, 10 or 20.

Good luck with your project though!

greenbeast

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2017, 12:39:40 pm »
To my mind the word smallholding is vague and has no meaning in law. We started with 1 sow two years ago, we now have 13. We always intended it as a farm, so nothing has changed, just a larger feed bill.

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2017, 05:36:03 pm »
Nope I don't get it either. As far as I can see in all the regs as soon as you are commercial all rules apply whatever the scale. There are some aspects which are a bit more discretionary if you are a hobby farmer but they still refer to welfare so that kinda takes you back to complying with regs anyway. The regs are the regs and if you are already complying with them, no problem.

Jimmy 84

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Suffolk
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2017, 06:59:05 pm »
Thanks for all your replies.

I've been scouring the websites for any information and can't find anything anywhere about it either. I might give APHA a call and talk to them about it as I've found them very helpful in the past. If i find anything out i will be sure to let you all know.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS