Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: going rate for hedgecutting..  (Read 2515 times)

juliem

• Joined Aug 2014
going rate for hedgecutting..
« on: November 10, 2017, 05:51:37 pm »
I suppose it's one of those bills that you only get once a year...so you notice the increase. .What's the going hourly rate now ?

juliem

• Joined Aug 2014
Re: going rate for hedgecutting..
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2017, 06:21:45 pm »
To cap it all after having just had all my hedges cut today at great expense have just read a link from Natural England that says I should not be cutting my hedges every year.

http://www.hedgelink.org.uk/cms/cms_content/files/78_hedgelink_a5_12pp_leaflet_7.pdf

henchard

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Two Retirees Start a New Life in Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2017, 06:34:51 pm »
Around £25 - £30 an hour in west wales

juliem

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2017, 06:48:46 pm »
I paid 180 for about 5 hrs....but he did have 1 hr journey getting here and getting back.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2017, 01:33:59 am »
To cap it all after having just had all my hedges cut today at great expense have just read a link from Natural England that says I should not be cutting my hedges every year.

http://www.hedgelink.org.uk/cms/cms_content/files/78_hedgelink_a5_12pp_leaflet_7.pdf

Thank you for the link juliem, just what we need  :tree: :tree: :tree: :tree: :tree: :tree: :tree: :tree: :tree: :tree:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2017, 07:27:58 am »
I read that hedgelink brochure and it may do for large concerns but we have found different here.  The main reason the bottom of our hedges were getting gappy was the ruling that you could not spray out the vegetation underneath.  All this lovely lush growth outdid the bushes for light and the bush then sent all its new growth up to the top and became thin and straggly down below.  Some land not in a "scheme" we kept clearing out the undergrowth and with exactly the same management otherwise within three years the difference was really noticable.

Now all our hedges are not covered by any scheme regulations (over a third of a mile) they have had a major trim, but not extreme, and are trimmed back every year.  The sheep clean out the bottom and they are thickening up again.  The hope is to get two trims in, weather permitting next year as the section of hedge that we have done this to is massively improved again.

Another bonus for us is that by trimming regularly there is not any really thick stems and so the tractor needs a lot less passes to get the growth back down, this reduces the damage to the land alongside the hedge.

We charge £25/hr
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 07:30:08 am by Buttermilk »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS