Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Tannin sheepskin with k tan at home  (Read 5118 times)

lucyparadisepotions

• Joined Sep 2015
Tannin sheepskin with k tan at home
« on: November 07, 2017, 08:41:19 pm »
Has anybody got experience of doing their own sheepskin at home with k tan brush on system from Snowdonia? I'm going to try it and looking for experiences good or bad and tips please.  :fc:

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
Re: Tannin sheepskin with k tan at home
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2017, 01:26:07 pm »
Where do you get k tan, Lucy?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2017, 02:33:37 pm »
If anybody is interested it went very well and I now have two beautiful sheepskin rugs done by myself!

Sounds great!  How much work was it to do?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2017, 04:06:47 pm »
Found it http://www.snowdoniasupplies.co.uk/cgi-bin/catalogue.pl?ref=tanningkits

Now to go and peruse.

I too would be interested to know if it's a young person's job ie needs untold energy, or if old fogeys can tackle it.

After a quick look, I see it's aimed at taxidermists.  Now I know where to get a kit for moleskins next time we have a cull.  Last time, rats ran off with the skins for their nests when I tried salting them  :rant: .   Would be good for bunnies too.

Thanks for drawing our attention to this Lucy.  Any pics of the process or finished skins?
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 04:12:19 pm by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2017, 04:59:50 pm »
THIS one does sheep and deer too, it says. £30 for enough for two sheep.  As I’m near enough Devonia to drive there, think I’ll stick with them.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2017, 10:37:35 pm »
Found it http://www.snowdoniasupplies.co.uk/cgi-bin/catalogue.pl?ref=tanningkits

Last time, rats ran off with the skins for their nests when I tried salting them  :rant: .   

Thought it was just me - did some tanning solution on bunnies skins, might have been k tan (orange bottle) my land lady's dog ate them!

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2017, 12:06:47 am »

Last time, rats ran off with the skins for their nests when I tried salting them  :rant: .   

Thought it was just me - did some tanning solution on bunnies skins, might have been k tan (orange bottle) my land lady's dog ate them!

:roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2017, 11:30:39 pm »
Quick run through of procedure: pick up skins same day as killed from abattoir and cover generously with salt. Leave a week. Rinse off. Deflesh using a knife or fleshing blade. That bit took about an hour. Wash a few times. I did 3 washes  in sink and last one in washing machine on wool cycle. I used bio d wash liquid. Lay on a pallet and apply the kit solutions every 24 hours. That took about 5/6 days but quick to do each coat. Made a wooden frame 5x4ft and stitched skin to frame to stretch it. Leave to dry. When nearly dry start to work the skin. I rubbed it with a lawn edging tool. Then sand with coarse sand paper. Take off frame, trim edges. Brush wool which took a while. Finished!

:bookmark: home tan sheepskin using kit

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS