Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Any one else have a LGD  (Read 1979 times)

SmallWelshBarn

• Joined Sep 2014
Any one else have a LGD
« on: October 31, 2017, 07:08:18 pm »
Does any one else on the forum have a LGD ? I have a fantastic Maremma . He guards all the animals chickens pigs and sheep he lives out side mostly and is free to roam 7 acres. He preferes to be out side.
Loyal to a fault and very defensive of the property. He has a huge bark to warn of predators has managed to catch the odd fox that’s tried it on and keeps away unwanted people.
He does eat a lot 1.5KG of raw meat a day cost about £2.40. My boy weighs about 55kg
If you have the space want a superb dog then have a look at a Maremma highly intelligent independent dog and for the most part will ignore your commands unless they think it’s the right thing to do ????
This is Khaos with the girls

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Any one else have a LGD
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2017, 09:43:11 pm »
As a dyed in the wool gundog person I have the greatest respect for the Maremma.  Glad you have work for him to do, they can be a nightmare if left to their own devices.  You are very lucky!  He looks lovely.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

apricot

• Joined Apr 2015
Re: Any one else have a LGD
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2018, 09:07:48 pm »
I have a Maremma, best dog I have ever had. She protects my chickens and ducks from fox and bird attack. She has never been a problem, she knows her job bless her and she has only just turned one. I haven't lost a chicken since we have had her, she is an absolute dream. Her personality is to die for, good with all our animals, sheep, horses, cats and other dogs. I love her.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS