Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: outdoor cameras  (Read 2861 times)

New Riverside Farm

• Joined Aug 2017
outdoor cameras
« on: October 22, 2017, 03:10:33 pm »
hello - this may seem a ridiculous question but does anyone have a suggestion about outdoor, battery-operated (no electric outside), small - and affordable cameras?

We have something breaking into the chicken runs...we need to know what it is, then deal with what that is - I suspect it's a rat, but not sure. So looking for something low cost to watch what happens at night.

I saw someone mention chili powder for rats as chickens are immune to it, and it is also good for their gut?

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: outdoor cameras
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2017, 03:45:20 pm »
Are you losing eggs (likely to be a rat), are you seeing droppings (1.3ish cm long, cylindrical and usually dark brown)?  If you're losing chicks it could be rats or a stoat, weasel, polecat or an escaped ferret.  If rats make sure they don't have anywhere nearby to hide or nest (under a shed, pile of brushwood or under the henhouse)  If you've had a grain crop growing nearby they'll be looking for a warm hotel for the Winter and I use bait, securely sited away from wild animals and birds.  They'll ignore it for a while (neophobic) but eventually succumb to its charms.  Once they do keep it topped up until you find dead uns.  They'll each need to eat about 15g before it takes effect.

New Riverside Farm

• Joined Aug 2017
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2017, 04:28:01 pm »
I believe it is just feed. We have the feed hanging off the ground but maybe not high enough...or we need to change the process a bit and not have food ready for the morn. But I do want to make sure it isn't anything more dangerous - like the predator animals. We've got a big run, and put the wire out a bit, and cinder blocks, and this is on top of having separate coops within the large run - so they have a bit of their own security of course, but they're coops. Since something is getting past the large run, I have another barrier but I don't really want them breaching the first to begin with. If its rats, then I can lift up the food a bit more and that will hopefully deter them from wanting to be there. If it's something other than rats, then I'll need more harsh measures.

I have a mink trap and we've put it in at night with some peanut butter to see if anything tries to eat that...but no takers yet. Just wanted a camera so I can see what we're dealing with.

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2017, 07:39:38 pm »
I use a trail camera, it was called Acorn but I just looked on Amazon and they've all been rebranded. Same cameras, different names, no idea why they keep doing that.

Black Sheep

• Joined Sep 2015
  • Briercliffe
    • Monk Hall Farm
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2017, 07:42:00 pm »
Most of the trail cameras out there will take some simple stills that are probably going to be good enough to help you identify the culprit. But if you want better quality images, option for video, better night-time effectiveness and so on, then you tend to get what you pay for.

I've used ProStalk, Bushnell, Ltl Acorn and others both here and abroad. Currently have a Ltl Acorn out to see what passes our gate at night. I've found this brand fairly good and reasonably priced - jut be sure to get a genuine one rather than a knock-off.

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2017, 11:53:51 am »
I did some research on this a while back and batteries were no good as its too greedy - if you can buy one with a connection to a leisure battery its a better alternative.  Personally I wouldnt want to keep charging batteries everyday.  A battery could only need recharging once a week or so.

I think they are worth it as can be used for all sorts of things in the future.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2017, 12:17:54 pm »
I believe it is just feed. We have the feed hanging off the ground but maybe not high enough...or we need to change the process a bit and not have food ready for the morn. But I do want to make sure it isn't anything more dangerous - like the predator animals. We've got a big run, and put the wire out a bit, and cinder blocks, and this is on top of having separate coops within the large run - so they have a bit of their own security of course, but they're coops. Since something is getting past the large run, I have another barrier but I don't really want them breaching the first to begin with. If its rats, then I can lift up the food a bit more and that will hopefully deter them from wanting to be there. If it's something other than rats, then I'll need more harsh measures.

I have a mink trap and we've put it in at night with some peanut butter to see if anything tries to eat that...but no takers yet. Just wanted a camera so I can see what we're dealing with.

Rats are not easily deterred.

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2017, 01:16:42 pm »
I have a great trail cam. 4 AA batteries lasts weeks (depending on tripping frequency) and there's a slot for an extra 4 aa batteries for if you need it to last longer. Or a 6v connection plug.
Takes Colour daytime stills/short video and b/w night time.

Think was about £100, but I expect cost has come down in last 4 or so years..?
Just in the kitchen looking at it; is also a Ltl Acorn.

Cheap ones c. £50, 8 years ago had slow trigger speeds; so just got blur of a tail on rodents (I tested some out and they were too poor). This one has been in use for years and still doing well, so comes recommended (although not so useful if they've rebranded!).

Part time dabbler

• Joined Aug 2016
  • Cornwall
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2017, 01:38:06 pm »
I have a Crenova 12MP, its about £70 from amazon. I put batteries in 6 weeks ago and they are still good. You can take still photos or mini videos. Picture quality is good enough.

Where are you based? Someone nearby may lend you one for a week
Physically part time in the garden, mentally full time in the garden

Justin

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Devon
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2017, 11:20:40 am »
I have a Bushnell trail cam down in our woodland. I use lithium AA batteries. It takes 4, but you can add 4 extra for additional running time. I change them out roughly every 12 months, they work amazingly well. I have it set to take 3 stills and then 30 seconds of video. Great seeing all the animals in the woods.

Also, every so often, Lidl and Aldi offer trail cameras at a good price. I believe they're rebadged Little Acorn ones, so perhaps worth keeping an eye out for them.

wayland

• Joined Sep 2017
  • Co Wexford
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2017, 06:46:06 pm »
We have a Lidl trail camera and a fine cheap piece of kit it is too. I think I paid eighty euros for it. After three years of use it still works as good as ever it did. Recently it identified a troublesome egg eater. A Magpie the Blackguard. 
Kindred of Star Stone and Greenwood Tree.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS