Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sheep with sprained leg-options  (Read 7032 times)

Gunestone

• Joined Jan 2017
Sheep with sprained leg-options
« on: October 12, 2017, 02:51:44 pm »
So one of our older ewes sprained her leg about a week ago. It seemed to be almost fully better but yesterday she was limping badly and is no better today. We have bandaged the leg lightly for a support and phoned the vets for some metacam but they won't give us any unless they can look at the ewe. This would mean a stressful trip which would likely further damage her leg. Would you take her in anyway to get the metacam or is there anything else we can give her/anywhere else we can get metacam?  Thanks!

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
Re: Sheep with sprained leg-options
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2017, 03:26:36 pm »
I've never given a sheep pain relief, if the leg is sprained then surely its better for her to keep the weight off it than dull the pain and her her put to much weight on it? I wouldn't bandage either, just because I don't see the benifit. If your totally sure its a sprain then you could keep her in for a couple of days to rest it. I'd also check her feet thoroughly for any cavities/rot. If she's still hopping lame after the weekend then I'd either come to the conclusuion that its not a sprain and more serious and either call fallen stock or the vet.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2017, 03:56:24 pm »

Are you sure it's a sprain and not arthritis, if this is an older ewe? My 11yo Shetland ewe is badly limping just now, and I think arthritis has finally caught up with her.... a decision will have to be taken shortly...

Flunixin is also a good painkiller/NSAID, but I would agree with your vets that they would need to have a look at the ewe before handing it out.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2017, 04:46:58 pm »
Will your vet not come to you to look at the sheep? Save a trip in the trailer if it's lame. I'm not sure bandaging will have much effect but some metacam would be much more beneficial. Metacam is prescription only so no way of getting it apart from the vet.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2017, 08:49:53 am »
What made you think she'd sprained it?  Did you see her put a leg down a rabbit hole and twist it, for instance?  If not I suggest closing your eyes and feeling down that leg and the one the other side slowly and simultaneously, trying to detect differences in heat and thickness which would indicate swelling.  If nothing then stand the foot in a bowl of water and clean it off thoroughly then look for footrot, scald, CODD, a thorn, etc.  If still nothing then leave her indoors for a few days to let the horn harden and see if she can bear weight on it after that.

Gunestone

• Joined Jan 2017
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2017, 09:31:14 am »
Thanks for all the advice. Firstly I think saying old may have been a little misleading, she is only 5, so I don't think it can be arthritis. We didn't actually see her sprain it, but have checked her feet and apart from being a little overgrown, which we amended,  they seem fine. However she does seem to have a little swelling just above her cleats.

I think we'll leave her until Monday and if no improvement then phone vet. 

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2017, 09:39:40 am »
If she's really lame then the weekend is a long time to leave an animal before treatment especially because she's been on and off lame for a week already  :-[

crobertson

• Joined Sep 2015
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2017, 10:35:00 pm »
If it was one of mine i'd bring it inside on straw. Plenty of hay and water so she doesnt need to be walking around to eat and in a pen so she can rest and some sheep nuts as a treat .... its amazing how quickly they pick up with preferential treatment. If in a couple of day she was still lame I would ask the vet to come out to her for pain relief as the journey to the vets would make it worse.
Also double check its not scald as we've had lots of rain this year!

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2017, 11:34:13 am »
Wish we could have a bit more rain.  It's been a really dry Autumn and the ground's like iron here.  Grass is still growing but I suspect the quality is rubbish.

Gunestone

• Joined Jan 2017
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2017, 02:18:04 pm »
Well thanks for all your advice, in the end we penned her for 2 days and she seems much better now :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS