Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Tractor fuel consumption  (Read 3286 times)

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
Tractor fuel consumption
« on: October 10, 2017, 08:16:54 pm »
I started monitoring my 35 HP/1645cc tractor's fuel consumption some 39 running-hours ago, so over just 3 months so far.  Latest calc' gives average of less than 1.61 ltr/hr ("less than" because I've not run down to fuel-light flicker* after last top-up yet).  Usage includes many hours with disc harrow on it's max "cut" angle and the flail mower).  But I'm perplexed as that ltr/hr calc seems very much less than Lombardini engine spec' would suggest.  I've double checked calc's (not to say my calc's are still right!) and I'm really wondering.  So, if anyone else is doing this, what please are you getting in terms of ltr/hr?  Any comparison would be useful no matter what HP or type of usage.

[*I prefer not to run tank down to near-empty before topping up, especially as running on red D, but, for now, it makes consumption monitoring a bit easier and I routinely add biocide to the diesel even if I know it will be used in short time.]
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 08:20:50 pm by arobwk »

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
Re: Tractor fuel consumption
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2017, 07:50:05 am »
We have a 2005 Kawasaki powered 21HP petrol mower- 700cc V twin. It uses about 2.5 Litres per hour so I'd say, with the improvements in fuel consumption you would get with a newer machine and it being a diesel, you calculation is probably correct Arobwk.

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 03:12:50 pm »
Thanks kindly chrismahon - in very big rough handfuls (i.e. leaving aside petrol v diesel and age) your 2.5 ltrs/hr on a 700cc would, if doubled-up, fall into the ball-park of what my 1645cc engine is supposed to digest.  My engine's most-efficient fuel consumption rate (as specified) is supposed to be 250 g/kWh at 1600 rpm producing 17.3 kW power output: I calc' that should give diesel consumption of 4.33 kg/hr or around 5.28 ltr/hr (assuming worst-case diesel density of 820kg/cu.m.) 
I have double-double checked my fuel purchases and top-up records and I find no obvious omissions; plus tractor tacho seems reasonably accurate with it's count of operating hours (although I will re-check that).  Of course, I might still be having a "Senior moment" and be missing some essential factor in my calculations, but, at the moment, I am putting my 1.6 ltr/hr down to the helping hand of some Cornish Piskeys!

Other consumption fig's from other members would be very welcome, if only to dispel the Piskey theory  :-\ :)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 04:02:49 pm by arobwk »

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 10:55:42 pm »
If you want an accurate measure without runnign the tank dry then there's the option of measuring how much to totally refill.
I have a 43HP TYM with cab and loader. I haven't bothered measuring it's consumption on the grounds that if i need it it gets used  :) . As one might expect topping the steeper slopes burns about twice the rate of topping the flats 'cos it's all lower gear.

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2017, 07:32:49 pm »
pgkevet - thanks for thoughts.  Keeping tank topped up would be a better way to go I agree, but (for now) putting in a known quantity when fuel light flickers gives me a finer gauge of consumption.  It is a nuisance though when the light flickers in the middle of job at hand.  I will go with the topped-up method if I continue to monitor over longer term. 
Like you, I'm not too concerned about what she drinks for my own purposes, but I am trying to work out running cost per hour for various types of use (fuel being a part of that) in case I'm asked to do bit of pasture maintenance, bracken bashing etc or decide to advertise my services for same idc.  Judging by the price a friend paid to have 4 ac of neglected pasture "seen to", I'm thinking it might be worth considering.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 07:38:17 pm by arobwk »

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2017, 08:38:04 pm »
Local farmer with a john-deere 90HP can top all my slopes in less than a day. It takes 2.5 days to do the same with my kit. It depends how you value your time. I'd guess his fuel usage is no more than mine. The only difference is that when i do it myself it gets done when i want rather then vagaries of his free time and weather.
Having said that for a mere flattish land 4ac it's the travelling and set-up more than the job.

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2017, 08:38:45 pm »
Having said that for a mere flattish land 4ac it's the travelling and set-up more than the job.

I don't have a tractor-capacity trailer yet (and purchase of same is far from imminent), but a less-than one tonne tractor plus implement/s would be relatively easily trailered over reasonable distances in reasonable time.  So I reckon mobile small-pasture maintenance (as a contracted service) might be viable judging by the princely sum my friend stumped up.  However, not something I'm seriously considering right now - quite enough else to be getting on with on my fields - just trying to get an early tab on hourly running costs in case a neighbour should ask for a bit of maintenance on a few acres (flattish or steep!) 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS