Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Anyone breed sablepoots?  (Read 2653 times)

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
Anyone breed sablepoots?
« on: September 29, 2017, 09:15:27 pm »
I have welsommer bantams and single lemon milfleur sablepoot. I hatched them in the summer with the plan of giving some to my friend who's three year old son loves chickens. I'd read that sablepoots were very tame... well it is certainly is a tame, dopey little thing, but it's also a cockerel (typical). My son (also 3years) loves his Sablepoot and since he's so enjoyed handling it since it was day old and feeds them every day I've said we could get some more next year.

:chook:

Wondered if anyone here breeds them and might have eggs for sale come spring? Any tips for keeping them?
Think I'll move them into the barn for the winter soon, away from mud.

madchickenlady

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Old Newton Suffolk
Re: Anyone breed sablepoots?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2017, 08:59:03 am »
If you check out sexing Sussex post you will see that I replied there to your post -obviously! :roflanim: yes they are lovely birds,  wouldn't mind a few more myself - not sure what OH may say though, actually, I know exactly what he would say but it is not printable!
Heather

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2017, 09:21:46 am »
Mad chicken lady's reply!
Shame you're so far away, I have a hen and no cock so we could have put them together for a while.
I got my hen from Anglia water fowl in Suffolk. I don't know if they send out hatching eggs but it may be worth trying, if not, if you find out how much they are and want some I could collect them (they are local to me) and send them on.

Thanks for your offer, I'll not do anything till spring time now, so have the winter to look at photos and find breeders. I've also signed up to the breed website to see if people sell them through there. Already thinking I should get eggs from a few different colours of sablepoots - all of my ideas grow arms and legs (as my husband puts it!). How does your hen lay?

madchickenlady

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Old Newton Suffolk
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2017, 10:26:28 pm »
Laid well in the summer, then went off starting again at the moment, really small eggs - about the same size as my Perkins, she is not broody like the m though.
She is lovely and a great size for the grandchildren to handle.
Good idea to hold of now, I will watch for future postings in the spring. Good luck.
Heather

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2017, 12:02:25 am »
I had to look this breed up as never heard of it.  I love the fact that 'sabelpoot' means vulture legs in Dutch.
If you do hatch some eggs then........pics please  :eyelashes:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2017, 06:50:25 pm »
The chicks are super cute! Didn't know about the translation!
Looking forward to spring  :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS