Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Goat prices?  (Read 4355 times)

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
Goat prices?
« on: October 08, 2017, 05:36:36 pm »
Hi
I have had a phone call asking for a goat, i need to reduce so they are going to come and look at one (they have others).
But no idea what to charge. Any thoughts would be welcome.
I hate selling things, was planning on keeping her, but space is limited.
50% registered boer goatling, 18mnth old. Disbudded. Nice stocky girl. Friendly.
She does have one teat longer than the other, no sure whether that would be a problem?

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Goat prices?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2017, 08:17:15 pm »
No idea about Boers/Boer crosses - but a pedigree registered goatling shouldn't go for less than 250...

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2017, 10:06:46 am »
One teat longer than the other shouldn't be an issue. You shouldn't need to reduce the price for that, not in a 50% Boer.

cuckoo

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2017, 10:22:48 pm »
Try looking at preloved - I would suggest £150 - bit more if registered or health tested - say £175 for a 50%.

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2017, 06:31:30 am »
What is she crossed with and Is she in kid? I'd ask between £100-£150, nearer the £100 if she's plain and ask more if she's nicely marked. I think it really depends on who your selling to, if they want a dairy goat then the 50% Boer might put them off, if they want meat then they might want a higher % Boer?

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2017, 11:28:45 am »
Hi
She's out of 100% female boer crossed with a Togg,  naughty boy was more athletic than I thought.
CAE tested herd, in fact vet coming today and she will be tested.
When I had to milk her mum out the milk was lovely and rich, if they could sort the fishtail/double teats problem I think they could replace AN's as a milk improver. That's why I wanted to keep her, but not practical now  :(

cuckoo

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2017, 11:13:42 pm »
Personally 1 would not let her go for any less than 150. 7 years ago i paid 175 for registered tog x boer from cae tested herd.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2017, 12:08:03 am »
There is a possibility that she is in kid to a Boer.  He was supposed to be ringed, but he has 'something' there, and very butch, he'd got in with the main herd, as I brought them in so I could catch him and his brother, he jumped on her, did the action, but it was so quick im not sure he could have finished, but she hasn't been in season yet, if he'd caught her before she was showing, I'm thinking that may have quieted any signs?

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2017, 07:18:23 am »
Oh, they can be very quick....

Polyanya

• Joined Mar 2015
  • Shetland
    • The Creative Croft
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2017, 09:42:09 am »
Do you mind if I come in on this thread - don't mean to gatecrash but it is price related  ;D I have the same issues regarding space and I want to keep one of this seasons kids, so I have advertised locally and thought £300 for a first freshener, which has been hand milked with 4 month doeling wasnt ridiculous. The only offer I've had is £75! That was from Orkney and I think most folk up here don't want to pay anything like that and I wondering about next years rare breed sales at Thainstone. Maybe I should keep them until next May and try there.

My question is has anyone sold their goats at the marts in Aberdeenshire?
In the depths of winter, I found there was in me an invincible summer - Camus

www.thecreativecroft.co.uk

Talana

• Joined Mar 2014
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2017, 12:56:06 pm »
Goats don t do well thtough the mart £20 -£170. But it is rare for decent goats to be sold through the mart, the mart usually a dumping ground for some people to get rid of their poorly bred /looked after goats as most breeders sell privately and would only sell through mart as a last resort. A Fat wether at thaibstone , huntly mart would give you 20 after fees. Same at Ayr 90.
Also in Scotland the price you can get is lower then further south. Also depends if registered health tested etc. I Have been charging 100 per reg health tested female kids 150 fir goatlings 200 for milkers and breeding males. 70-80 for wethers ready to go away fat.  Next time I have to sell some I am aiming to hopefully increase price, by 50 for breeding stock. Every time I have to get a new stud male itss about 250 and still have to bottle feed him. When I bought my first goats they were 280 for milker and 180 for female kid from england and thst was 10 years ago. In my experience the further south you go they charge more for stock. Yet pygmys seem to be able to charge what they like as the demand is there but not such a demand for dairy goats. boer goats seem to do better as they are the new growing market.  Quality show stock disbudded health tested, 200 average for milkers up here if selling to commercual herd can be 150(which go down to wales)

Polyanya

• Joined Mar 2015
  • Shetland
    • The Creative Croft
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2017, 08:54:19 pm »
Thanks for your input Talana and Scarlet - I hear you about prices going higher the further south you go. No Scarlet I haven't advertised in the areas you mention, to be honest I'm not that proactive and I really did want to sell locally so I could at least vet the new home/owner and keep in touch. I paid £300 for two 6 month doelings and a 6 month whether two years ago from someone in Shetland who usually sell her spare kids at the Aberdeen marts and I'm sure she wouldn't have got that much for the three kids there. But then I was desperate and had been looking for sometime. I think I'll leave it for now and try next spring when she's had some more baby kids and is in full milking mode.

Must admit I never really wanted to sell any livestock at any marts, you just don't know who they're going to  :(
In the depths of winter, I found there was in me an invincible summer - Camus

www.thecreativecroft.co.uk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS