Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Goat feed questions?  (Read 7850 times)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Goat feed questions?
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2017, 02:15:36 pm »
I don't think cucumber leaves are ok, at least I wouldn't give mine any.

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2017, 03:04:51 pm »
Sorry - one other question - related to feed, but not in response to the others just now! : )

Can goats eat cucumber leaves? I've got a lot of cuc plants, with excess vines, leaves and eventually need to clear down for the winter.
My ones don't touch pumpkin or cucumber leaves, but the good thing is you can eat them yourself! Cook them just like spinach!
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2017, 04:48:44 pm »

Not sure if anyone is familiar with this brand - Stephensons Animal Feed in Todmorden?

not going to comment on feed as plenty of others more knowledgeable than me, but I use Stephenson's feed a lot, but I also use dairy nuts and beef nuts from them, some local suppliers can also get Caprivite in for you, ie Calvag in Mytholmroyd if you live in the area.

New Riverside Farm

• Joined Aug 2017
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2017, 04:53:56 pm »
Sorry - one other question - related to feed, but not in response to the others just now! : )

Can goats eat cucumber leaves? I've got a lot of cuc plants, with excess vines, leaves and eventually need to clear down for the winter.
My ones don't touch pumpkin or cucumber leaves, but the good thing is you can eat them yourself! Cook them just like spinach!

Thanks for that - never knew I could eat cuc leaves! I'll look forward to trying that! : )

New Riverside Farm

• Joined Aug 2017
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2017, 04:56:56 pm »

Not sure if anyone is familiar with this brand - Stephensons Animal Feed in Todmorden?

not going to comment on feed as plenty of others more knowledgeable than me, but I use Stephenson's feed a lot, but I also use dairy nuts and beef nuts from them, some local suppliers can also get Caprivite in for you, ie Calvag in Mytholmroyd if you live in the area.

I tried calvag and they didn't have the caprivite, so I tried a different local supplier and just got beef nuts - the only thing they have. How do you determine how much you give of those when incorporated with the regular stephensons feed? Don't want to overdo it, so uncertain how to find that balance.

Many thanks!

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2017, 12:22:50 am »
I see you live in Skipton?
There is a merchant at Skipton who uses 'Battles' as a supplier, they should be able to order it for you, Calvag order it in for me when I want it. Better than having to wait round or miss a delivery.
TBH I play feeding it by eye, if they look as if they are losing condition I just give more, as the grass is dying back I'm having to up more to keep weight on, but my Toggs are getting on a bit, and harder to keep up with.
I use a tin mug as a scoop, they have a mug of a cattle mix from Leahs, half goat mix, half  either dairy or ewe nuts,  sugar beet soaked, half mug of mixed flake, oats,
But really the main thing is fodder, the younger goats are looking well on much less than this,  but if they eat up and look for more they can have some.
I will be going for beef nuts tomorrow, forgot today, these will replace the dairy/ewe nuts.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS