Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: water  (Read 2171 times)

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
water
« on: July 12, 2010, 12:32:47 pm »
just wana know if anyone does anything to the water that ye give to your goats?
e.g. do people take the chill of the water and do people add salt to it for the benefit of the goats???
please take note we do have salt licks!!!!!!!!!!!!
these are just little thoughts that come and go in my head from day to day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
langdon ;) :goat:
p.s. took molly to vet this morning, vet gave her injection for worm and louce, she screamed poor thing.
i now have to give her an injection of antibiotics once a day for her feet whilst spraying daily is well.
not looking forward to injecting but it has to be done.
at the mo she looks so cross with me ;D
langdon :goat:
Langdon ;)

lazybee

• Joined Mar 2010
Re: water
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 04:09:29 pm »
When I had goats I never did anything to the water. They only use the salt licks when they need them. Mine never touched them. As for giving antibiotics either put the needle in first without the syringe and make sure you don't get a bleed or pull on the syringe plunger to see there's no bleed. This is just a precaution to make sure the antibiotic isn't injected into the bloodstream. I'm sure the vet would have told you, so just in case ;) sorry if you know coz I don't want to sound like a smart@rse

One more thing pull the needle back a bit before you inject to be sure you're not next to a blood vessel :D
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 04:24:24 pm by lazybee »

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 05:19:27 pm »
We have been injecting Abel one of our big Anglo Nubians for foot rot, every three days for the past two weeks.  He has 1ml behind his shoulder and 5ml in the muscle on his back leg.  He is much improved now, and is not longing hobbling - in fact he runs when he spots us coming with the needle and spray!!  You did not mention Molly was lame, is she?  Its been so dry, and foot rot is a winter thing usually. Our goat has an ongoing problem from the winter.

Goats have a tough hide on them, and its quite a shock the first time you try to inject them, and yes, they are not happy.

So, the vet thought Molly needed the lice jab. It does work, we have just had ours done.  We did not inject for worms, but used pour on cattle wormer from the vets (£55 a bottle eeek!)

What about the udder problem?(oh, that sounds silly .....but yes, it is her "udder" problem.  Did the vet say anything about that?

Added to say, we do not put anything in the water, and they have a bucket full straight from the well on the lane, so it is as it comes!!

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010, 10:41:45 pm »
molly isnt lame- thank goodness ;)
vet took a look at her udder, seen it had gone down some what and that was that! left to my own defices there i feel.
its gona have to be tough love with molly over the next few days i think, but there you are.
the vet knows we have two goats and he too finds it strange that molly is allways the one with aills(bless her).
Langdon ;)

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2010, 10:43:47 pm »
thank you lazybee for advice greatfully accepted.
every little bit helps :D
Langdon ;)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2010, 06:45:52 pm »
All of ours screamed with their injections and one even did a mad dance after bless her!! having injected humans and now goats I can honestly say, goat skin is a  lot thicker than ours I was totally shocked at how hard it was to get a needle into  :o
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2010, 11:53:42 pm »
I don't generally put anything in their water. They get plain cold water from our outside tap. But, if one isn't well, or is maybe off colour after kidding, then I will give them warm water. Or warm water with treacle or molasses in it.

Beth

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS