Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Women's Work?  (Read 8437 times)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Re: Women's Work?
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2017, 09:22:34 pm »
My only response is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnzHtm1jhL4

"with basket weavers who sit and smile and twiddle their thumbs and toes..."

I love that song - used to have the single but lend a pile of records to a friend and that one never came home.  >:(

On the subject of basket weaving, if you want to do it, why not?

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2017, 11:13:16 pm »
Well precisely!  I didn't get where I am today by following fashion trends or worrying what other people think of me. Come to think of it, maybe that's as much curse as blessing.

Anyway, I'm going to give it a go and enjoy it.  I'll post a photo of the results, which should give you all a laugh at least! ;D

Oh, and I HATE that song!  It absolutely freaks me out, and I'm not even kidding!
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2017, 12:52:44 pm »
Well you're not going to be the only man there!  It's a man who'se teaching us for a start, and Marcus (Tradenots) is also coming, so perhaps Mrs W is rather old fashioned  :innocent:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2017, 12:04:37 pm »
So who voted Mrs Womble was right?   Mrs Womble?   :innocent:

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2017, 01:59:05 pm »
No, it was me. It's just more than my life's worth to disagree sometimes!  :roflanim:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2017, 02:19:35 pm »
Rubbish, I know Mrs W and she wouldn't deprive you of a learning opportunity  :roflanim:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2017, 02:20:55 pm »
I dont really want to get into the basket weaving- but its seems its perfectly acceptable for a lady to say 'thats a mans job, so you do it'

but never acceptable the other way.

which is kinda good but it means half the boys jobs get done and none of the lady jobs. ;)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2017, 02:27:30 pm »
In our house cleaning the cludgie is most definitely a man's job  :poo:   :eyelashes:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2017, 02:28:58 pm »
Rubbish, I know Mrs W and she wouldn't deprive you of a learning opportunity  :roflanim:

Precisely! Which is why after fifteen years of marriage I'm still in the process of 'learning' to clean the toilet.

OK, I'll be honest then - I haven't voted at all, so the question is, who did?  :)

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2017, 05:35:29 pm »
Well, that was a whole heap of fun!  ;D

And doesn't this look like a masculine kind of basket?  A strong, practical and dependable receptacle, ideal for holding manly things like springs, fishing weights or mustache oil perhaps?  :roflanim:
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 05:40:12 pm by Womble »

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2017, 05:46:35 pm »
"So what have we got on this week?" asked Mrs Womble.

"Oh, just the usual juggling three jobs and a smallholding" I replied. "Oh, and I'm going to a basket weaving class on Saturday".

"YOU'RE WHAT???" replied Mrs Womble incredulously, in the tone of voice she usually saves for my most incompetent actions. "You're seriously doing basket weaving?  Basket casing more like!".

Some deeper probing revealed that it wasn't just that she feared I would be awful at it (of course I will - that's half the fun!  ;D ). It was more that in her eyes, signing up for a basket weaving class requiring surrendering all of my remaining Man Points at the door (I think I lost most of them when I learned to spin). I might as well have asked her to slap me on the bottom and call me Shirley.

So, Mrs Womble was distinctly unimpressed, and I was mightily surprised at her attitude.

Are you?
Hmmm tough choice to vote. If my hubby wanted to basket weave or do somit creative who would I be to stand in his way? I would expect the same encouragement and support from him too tho. I wonder what her reaction would have been if you had said pole dancing... :innocent: :roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim:
Love the results tho, those baskets are beautiful, well done!!! :trophy:
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 05:51:17 pm by waterbuffalofarmer »
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2017, 06:05:56 pm »
Is that your work then Womble? in one afternoon?
I'm very impressed !

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2017, 06:36:19 pm »
That's a fabulous first basket, Womble!  And very manly, if I may say so :eyelashes:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2017, 10:52:45 pm »
Very impressed, Womble and I do hope Mrs Womble is too.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2017, 12:36:58 pm »
Very nice basket Womble. I made something similar and keep fruit in it. I would love to have another go
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS