Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Women's Work?  (Read 8434 times)

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Women's Work?
« on: September 24, 2017, 09:24:40 am »
"So what have we got on this week?" asked Mrs Womble.

"Oh, just the usual juggling three jobs and a smallholding" I replied. "Oh, and I'm going to a basket weaving class on Saturday".

"YOU'RE WHAT???" replied Mrs Womble incredulously, in the tone of voice she usually saves for my most incompetent actions. "You're seriously doing basket weaving?  Basket casing more like!".

Some deeper probing revealed that it wasn't just that she feared I would be awful at it (of course I will - that's half the fun!  ;D ). It was more that in her eyes, signing up for a basket weaving class requiring surrendering all of my remaining Man Points at the door (I think I lost most of them when I learned to spin). I might as well have asked her to slap me on the bottom and call me Shirley.

So, Mrs Womble was distinctly unimpressed, and I was mightily surprised at her attitude.

Are you?

« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 09:30:01 am by Womble »
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: Women's Work?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2017, 09:37:14 am »
The most successful swill maker I know, who makes a full time living at it is a man! You go for it!  :thumbsup:

Scotsdumpy

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2017, 11:16:41 am »
There was a bloke at a basket weaving course I went on - he did ok. You need strong thumbs. I think the women were more creative, the man was more technical. I was just glad it was over - I have the attention span of a gnat.....

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • The Accidental Smallholder
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2017, 11:37:33 am »
I taught myself to knit last winter...  :knit:

smhowie

• Joined May 2014
  • irvine, ayrshire, scotland
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2017, 11:39:29 am »
Should have went to the festival as one of the instructors is a man.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2017, 11:40:56 am »
I think there are more male basket weavers than female.  At the smallholders show yesterday, the main man is...well...a man, and he weaves beautiful baskets.  Down at Woolfest, last time I was there, there were two basket stalls, both men who did the weaving.  Same at the Royal Highland.  On the other hand, the course I went on was given by a woman.  It's a lot to do with strength, not just of the hands, but the whole body when you're wrestling with those withies, but men tend to be even stronger than some women (and the other way round of course).
As for spinning, the person who taught me to use a spindle is a man, a brilliant spinner and spindler, and before you ask, he's married.
Knitting?  My brother taught me to knit when we were kids, although he doesn't now like his own children to know that  ::)   But Kaffe Fasset is one of the all time most prominent knitters.

On the other hand, I spin, spindle, knit and sew, and I also ride a whopping big motorbike, I'm married and I have children and grandchildren.

I hate to say it Womble but I think Mrs Womble is suffering from some prejudices  :coat:  . You'll just have to prove her wrong, when you come home with your first basket  :thumbsup:

For the vote - I can't do it, because my preferred answer isn't there....basket making has nothing to do with sex, silly.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 11:47:23 am by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2017, 11:44:47 am »
I taught myself to knit last winter...  :knit:

About time too Dan  :eyelashes:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2017, 12:21:36 pm »
There's your challenge Womble, prove her wrong.
Then get growing your willow, get the weaving right and and income beyond retirement  :thumbsup:

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2017, 12:57:50 pm »
..and you never know... you might meet a nice young man in the classes... :roflanim:

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2017, 01:30:42 pm »
I'm genuinely surprised at Mrs womble.

Oh to have the time to learn such things...

On second thoughts is she just trying to protect herself from learning manly tasks?

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2017, 02:11:42 pm »
My only response is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnzHtm1jhL4

"with basket weavers who sit and smile and twiddle their thumbs and toes..."
[/quote

I recently went to a funeral and as they carried him out......up came this song  :roflanim:

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2017, 02:30:53 pm »
Neighbour of mine has a very successful 'natural burials' business using, you've guessed it, wicker work caskets he makes himself.

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2017, 10:35:06 pm »
Do it!

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2017, 06:51:45 am »
My only response is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnzHtm1jhL4

"with basket weavers who sit and smile and twiddle their thumbs and toes..."
[/quote

I recently went to a funeral and as they carried him out......up came this song  :roflanim:

I must get that added when I update my will... my lawyer already says there's no chance of them carrying out my wishes when it comes to recycling so I guess I should go the whole hog (oh, except that's a pun I didn't intend because those were my wishes...)

I have heard of people who left their bodies to hounds getting cremated and the ashes sprinkled on their food.  Where there is a will there is a way, you may get fed to the pigs yet.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2017, 11:49:23 am »
It would genuinely never have occurred to me that weaving baskets is in any way either a man's thing or a woman's thing.  As Juliet says, the two basketweavers at Woolfest are men.  I also have female friends who are learning.

Spinning does tend to be predominantly female, as do knitting and crochet, but I know a few men who spin and knit.  (Glad to add you to the ranks of the latter, [member=1]Dan[/member]  :)).  One of the UK's experts on spinning longdraw is a man - and a young man, at that.  I've a friend works on the railways, has a lot body art and piercings, a strapping great fella, and knits beautifully :).

We find more men when it comes to weaving generally.  Most Guilds have a few male Weavers.

As to voting - same as Juliet :)

For the vote - I can't do it, because my preferred answer isn't there....basket making has nothing to do with sex, silly.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS