Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Worming individual birds  (Read 3795 times)

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
Worming individual birds
« on: September 22, 2017, 02:39:18 pm »
My father just has 3 pullets at present and would like to routinely worm them. He wanted to know if there was a way of worming each individual bird rather than using Flubenvet pellets as he would normally do to worm the flock.
They free range and are hardly eating any pellets so wanted a wormer that could just be administered to each bird.

I said that I would ask on here to see if anyone worms in that way.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Re: Worming individual birds
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2017, 02:45:38 pm »
We've used "panacur small animal" worming liquid before for ducks and geese. This was at our vet's recommendation. You can administer it by squirting it down the back of the bird's throat with a small syringe. However, I believe that it's not officially licensed for poultry producing eggs for food, so you need to figure out for yourself if you're happy with that.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2017, 03:32:25 pm »
I too use Panacur. I put it on damp bread or something that they particularly like even if not hungry. Otherwise can mix it with their food in the morning, before they are let out, when they will be hungry and eat it quite readily.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2017, 03:48:22 pm »
Thanks both.

Can you buy from the agricultural store? Is it the one made for cats?
Dose?

Or did you get from the vet?

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2017, 05:22:19 pm »
It's this stuff that we used. The dose was the cause of considerable veterinary head scratching (partly because they didn't know how much a duck weighed, and insisted I brought one down to the surgery to find out - cue the witch scene from a certain Monty Python film). There was also some debate as to whether the dose should be a one-off, or if it needed to be repeated daily for three days.

Unfortunately I can't remember what the final conclusion was, so you'd be best asking a vet!
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2017, 06:24:55 pm »
Yes you can use the one for cats/dogs.
Somewhere on the internet is the dose for poultry. I found it one day and will probably never find it again. You might be lucky.
I seem to think it was similar to the pro rata dose used for dogs. So weigh the hens and work it out and give for several days as recommended for dogs,
Panacur has a very high safety margin, and is used on humans in developing countries; so is a very safe wormer.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

nimbusllama

• Joined Nov 2010
  • Near Mansfield, Nottinghamshire
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2017, 11:18:44 pm »
What about Panacur for pigeons?  Should be available in a pet shop.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2017, 05:29:55 pm »
Thank you all, will look into dosage for the panacur.   :chook:

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2017, 09:56:21 am »
We worm individual birds with Flubenvet mixed with Olive oil. The 1% scoop of 6g is sufficient for two large fowl for 7 days and mixes OK with 15mL, so is given as a 1mL 'shot' when the bird has a full crop. Two problems though are mixing it, as it rapidly drops out of suspension and major risk of the bird inhaling it and choking. So essentially it's not a procedure I'd recommend for regular use but can be used in an emergency if the bird is ill and not eating treated pellets.

We have found that the first or second day's shot is sufficient to kill any worms so we now administer just 3 shots on days 1, 2 and 7 (to kill hatched eggs). We also use the 2.5% Flubenvet which reduces the amount to administer to 0.5mL and reduces the risk of choking.

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2017, 06:23:56 pm »
You can get spot on ivermectin for pigeons and parrots and work out the dose per kg.

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2017, 09:00:41 pm »
Im not a fan of routine worming - as for organic system they expect you to FEC which can be done in the post. A local vet even (even do it yourself if you can be bothered).  Especially if your birds have fresh pasture and big area.  I have never had an issue with worms.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2017, 12:10:57 pm »
I followed someone's advice and used sheep wormer, given by mouth. With water so I didn't overdose, only a drop or 2, brought a hen back from almost dead.
Good nudge, i have one just now who is moulting and not looking good, I think that's when you see the symptoms of parasites more, poor hen is needing nutrition the parasites are taking  :(

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS