Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: wood burner with back boiler not heating water  (Read 5764 times)

juliem

• Joined Aug 2014
wood burner with back boiler not heating water
« on: September 21, 2017, 08:40:20 pm »
Lit my fire today for the first time...only a gentle fire because wanted to check gravity fed pipes to solar tank upstairs all ok. (ie the hot water is getting away)Years ago after a power cut (lasted 2 days) water boiled at the back of the stove because electric pump could not   pump water round the radiators and air got trapped.Took days to sort.
Anyway today could not get the hot water in the pipes to rise to the tank.....I am wondering if there is water in the pipes at 1st floor level ? Perhaps the feeder water tank which feeds the system is not working..ballcock stuck?
Is there a way you can tell if there is any water in a copper pipe?
Sorry if this is a bit technical...just want to be able to light my fire.

juliem

• Joined Aug 2014
Re: wood burner with back boiler not heating water
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2017, 09:05:15 am »
all sorted..it was the ballcock in the headtank which had got stuck .Silly me I thought that the water that the fire heats in the back boiler actually goes into the tank where we get out domestic water from..(..it's also solar as well).I had not realized that the water that the woodburner heats is a closed system and just heats a coil that heats the water.
And I've had a woodburner/multi stove for 30 plus years.
I have got oil heating as a back up.....but you can't beat lighting a fire these Autumn days.All set to hibernate the rest of the winter now my fire is sorted.
Have read of peope who return from holiday where water has frozen at the back of the stove and when they light the fire....the house explodes.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2017, 11:28:47 am »
Good, I'm glad you're sorted.

I did read your post, but it was hard to tell what was happening without knowing your exact system.

:coat:
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 11:30:24 am by Womble »
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2017, 03:35:20 pm »

:coat:
  :idea: :roflanim: :roflanim: :fc:
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS