Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Livestock trailer  (Read 6168 times)

janeh

• Joined Sep 2017
Livestock trailer
« on: September 21, 2017, 01:39:55 pm »
Hello,
I was wondering what size and make of livestock trailer people have. We are thinking of getting a sheep sized one as we only have a normal car to tow with (max 1 100kg).

We will get sheep first anyway. We wouldn't then be able to transport cattle if we decided on getting cattle later...but maybe that's a bridge to cross later as we would need a new car to get a bigger trailer.

Ifor Williams p6e/p7e are an option, also AD Morton trailers look ok too.

Best wishes,
Jane

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Livestock trailer
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2017, 02:10:17 pm »
Ifor Williams P6 is a great starter trailer as long as you don't have huge numbers of sheep to carry. Also takes a couple of pigs to the abattoir and one large round bale of hay/straw. It is great that you can take the livestock roof off and use with high mesh sides to carry other stuff... so I would recommend that. If you are going for cattle at some point, you will need a 4x4 car to tow a cattle trailer anyway, as well as a taller trailer. I would have thought a well-looked after P6 will keep his value.

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2017, 02:52:21 pm »
Graham Edwards trailers are great.  https://edwards-trailers.co.uk/

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2017, 03:23:20 pm »

But expensive... compared to IWT's....

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2017, 07:10:29 pm »

But expensive... compared to IWT's....

Better quality I have found.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2017, 07:58:07 pm »
A lot of folk where you are now will use this type.  Takes 5 or 6 sheep very comfortably (more if they're wee primitive types), unbraked 750kgs so can be towed by younger folks.  (Not sure of the exact rules, being in the older category myself ;)).

We had one ourselves when I was up in Cumbria, except as we didn't have the age issue we had the braked one, and a jockey wheel, and could use it to fetch a tonne of feed, too.  I liked it much better than the Ifor Williams one, it's a very versatile design and very easy to use. (Though I wouldn't diss Ifor Williams at all, they're good trailers and have a good resale value.)

I can't recall whether ours was the exact make I've linked, but it looks identical.  I can probably dig out an old email from when we bought ours if you want me to check.  I'll need to wind up the old and now rather creaky laptop to do that,
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2017, 08:36:18 pm »

The IWT P6 is not just a livestock trailer, which is why we really liked it (and still use it round the holding to transport anything from chopped wood to muck, plus occasionally sheep (we now have a bigger IWT towed by the van).

It's the versatility that IMO really puts it ahead...

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2017, 07:19:58 am »

The IWT P6 is not just a livestock trailer, which is why we really liked it (and still use it round the holding to transport anything from chopped wood to muck, plus occasionally sheep (we now have a bigger IWT towed by the van).

I have carried a 4 wheeled horse carriage on my Graham Edwards, we have fitted a demountable winch to make loading it easier.  Like the ifor the lid comes off which makes it a lot easier to power wash between jobs.  Anyone tried powerwashing a small trailer with the lid on?

I started with an unbraked rice pig/sheep jobbie and decided to go large when trying to clean it out to ministry standards.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2017, 07:24:54 am »
Your vehicle is going to dictate the maximum you can tow at this stage. Do you need a trailer? For years we lent our small sheep trailer to a neighbour on the rare occasion he needed one. You can sometimes find a bargain on ebay or local seek and sell groups.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2017, 07:57:03 am »
Ifor Williams P6 is a great starter trailer as long as you don't have huge numbers of sheep to carry. Also takes a couple of pigs to the abattoir and one large round bale of hay/straw. It is great that you can take the livestock roof off and use with high mesh sides to carry other stuff.

^ What she said!  :)

What I would add, especially if you don't have a 4x4, is get the wider 'floatation' tyres, plus the widest jockey wheel you can find. This will make it much easier to push around by hand in the field, without it getting stuck in the mud.

We've used ours to fetch some really heavy loads of wood from neighbouring fields, and it didn't sink at all, even when the landy well and truly did  :innocent: .

For general use, I'd say the P7e is significantly more useful than the P6e. It's a little bit heavier, so can't take as much payload. However, you can get a sheet of ply in it at an angle, not to mention easier transport of hurdles, or an extra sheep or two  :thumbsup: .
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2017, 08:25:19 am »

Ditto the one I linked.  It's a very versatile design, you can configure it in many ways.  The inner door moves position or comes out, the lid comes off, the rear door is a ramp or door, the side panels drop and remove.  That last meant we could take the lid off, have a tonne of feed dropped in, then put the lid back on and access the feed through the drop flaps at the side.  Kept it dry and the rats didn't find it :). And saved enough money over a couple of winters to pay for the trailer :)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2017, 11:42:07 am »
How did the lid attach / detach on yours, Sally?

That's the one thing I don't like about the Ifor; the canopy attached with four bolts (one at each corner, funnily enough), and I find these really fiddly to align. It's not a problem if you only convert it to/from livestock mode once or twice a year, but for anything more frequent, it can be a right pain.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

PK

• Joined Mar 2015
  • West Suffolk
    • Notes from a Suffolk Smallholding
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2017, 12:36:23 pm »
I've got an Ifer Williams Pe7 which I am very happy with. Do remember to retract the prop stand though. Two or three times now I've inadvertently mole ploughed the field wh n I've driven off.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2017, 01:28:04 pm »
How did the lid attach / detach on yours, Sally?

That's the one thing I don't like about the Ifor; the canopy attached with four bolts (one at each corner, funnily enough), and I find these really fiddly to align. It's not a problem if you only convert it to/from livestock mode once or twice a year, but for anything more frequent, it can be a right pain.

The canopy is on four legs, which slither into the corner posts and are bolted into place with captive bolts.  It'd be a bit of a pain to do on your own, but is a breeze for two.

GribinIsaf

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Montgomeryshire
    • Gribin Isaf
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2017, 05:40:43 pm »
Just to say that we have the CLH one that Sally has been describing.  It is the only trailer we have had and I am sure the Ifor ones are great but we find it brilliant.  We use it for pigs - the internal divider that has two positions is really useful if transporting to two locations or for making a smaller compartment.  The top comes on and off really easily (with two people) and we use the trailer all the time for transporting straw, wood and getting general stuff.  The only issue we had was that originally the two gates inside the back door/ramp could rattle off and fall inside the trailer during transit.  When we contacted CLH they said there should have been pins to prevent this and offered to put them in but since we are long way from them we just drilled them ourselves.  (They also provide replacement rear light parts quickly and cheaply  ;))

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS