Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: LLeyn yearling ewes  (Read 2989 times)

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Hereford/Powys Border. near Hay-on-Wye
    • castlefarmeggs
LLeyn yearling ewes
« on: July 11, 2010, 10:40:47 pm »
Last years ewe lambs ready to tup this autumn or this years ewe lambs as stores to grow on.

Starter flocks from flock number 273 (S Morris). Old established flock.

Around 600 to choose from.

Prices from £85 up to £150 for best quality.

Near Hay-on Wye. Powys. Mid Wales.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 10:43:02 pm by Castle Farm »
Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

hennypenny

• Joined Jul 2010
  • North Cornwall
Re: LLeyn yearling ewes
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 05:26:52 am »
Hi Castle Farm.......

Just wanted to sing the praises of the LLeyn...We kept a small flock and they were great!  Easy lambers and good at throwing ewelambs.....

wellies

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Shrewsbury
    • Fairfax Ryeland Flock
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2010, 01:08:05 pm »
Hi, just wondering if this breed would be any good for a small holding. I really only want to keep a few to keep down the grass and cross graze with the horses? Although hubby is a little more keen on raising some happy freezer food  ::) would be grateful for any advice please - thank you

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Hereford/Powys Border. near Hay-on-Wye
    • castlefarmeggs
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2010, 05:00:22 pm »
Lleyns have become very popular over the last few years for a number of reasons.

They are easy lambers and usually have at least 2. If you over do them they can have litters.
The lambs will finish as autumn ready on grass alone and come in around 40 kg.
Medium size and easy to manage.
They are ideal for small holders. I started off with 6 yearling ewe lambs 5 years ago and now have 32.

type into google Lleyns and have a look at the web site.

I honestly cannot fault this breed and selling them is not a problem as there is a ready market.
Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

wellies

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Shrewsbury
    • Fairfax Ryeland Flock
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2010, 06:46:54 pm »
Thank you for the information, I will have a look on the internet for some breed info. Some one recommended Ryeland sheep so I shall compare the two  :-\

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2010, 06:50:28 pm »
Ditto the above.

I keep Llenys AND Ryelands  ;D    The Lleyns mainly for the Autumn Fat lamb market and because they are nice sheep for all the reasons already mentioned.   The Ryelands (both Coloured and White) I keep cos I just love 'em and my Avatar/pic is one of this years white lambs - albeit it she is tiddly and I call her my Pocket Rocket  ;D
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS