Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: topper etc  (Read 3662 times)

mebnandtrn

• Joined Mar 2014
  • lower whitley
topper etc
« on: September 14, 2017, 04:06:04 pm »
I have just bought a Kubota L1510 compact tractor that came with a flail mower. That made short work of the only long grass and thistles etc left on our land. But it will only cut the grass the  about an inch in length, no shorter. We have an acre that we cut to lawn length using a sit on lawn mower, where the children play football etc. Would a topper on the tractor cut grass that short, or is there another device that will? Just trying to get my head round the different cutter type attachments and which one is most useful! Many thanks

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
Re: topper etc
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2017, 04:49:44 pm »
You need a 'finishing mower' to get lawn effect.  Plenty on ebay. Id look at Flemming as a good make rather than the cheap imports.  Youll probably be able to sell your ride on

mebnandtrn

• Joined Mar 2014
  • lower whitley
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2017, 07:59:11 am »
thank you

mebnandtrn

• Joined Mar 2014
  • lower whitley
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2017, 03:11:57 pm »
This is a daft question, but when I cut the grass with the ride on mower I collect it up and put it in a huge pile. With a finishing mower, I assume the grass just breaks down? Does it effectively mulch? Thanks.

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2017, 09:07:50 pm »
Just cuts the grass, doesn't really mulch.  Only any good if you are not bothered about picking up grass.

90driver

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Independent Land Rover Specialst
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2017, 09:17:31 am »
If you are using a ride on mower with grass collection, and you are happy with the finish..... you have the perfect tool for the job. To get a finishing mower behind your compact you will have to forego the collection and as a result prob have to mow more often to keep the cuttings short enough to dissapear. If it is too slow then maybe a large ride on mower would better. I have a similar sized lawn and have invested in a ride on with a High tip collection box, which means i an tip on top of the pile of cuttings which saves a lot of work.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS