Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Time of year  (Read 7376 times)

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
Time of year
« on: July 11, 2010, 10:08:14 pm »
So I have a few walnuts they are a bit late this year I spent the afternoon pricking them and I have made a bucket of brine that is strong enough to float an egg I've put them in and shall stir them round every day until next Saturday when I shall take them out and rinse the salt off Then put them on my drying rack in the sun until they turn black and shrivelled.I am making 4 pint bottles of raspberry vinegar as well :farmer:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

valr

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Brightons nr Falkirk
Re: Time of year
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 09:04:01 pm »
What will you do with the walnuts Wizard? I mean are they for a recipe or will you just eat them lol

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 08:11:41 am »
Hello vair I make a most delightful pickled walnut absolutely ace with cold beef at Xmas but I am told they are an acquired taste, what ever that means. I think it's something like Marmite you love them or you hate them.If you can find them in the shops they are expensive to buy.Look in recipes I have posted a recipe on how to make them.If you have not had them please buy a jar before you make some and you have missed this year now the shells will have formed :farmer:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

valr

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Brightons nr Falkirk
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 04:58:18 pm »
I don't think I have ever seen a walnut tree in scotland .....!?

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2010, 05:56:32 pm »
Hello vair I know of two in the grounds of Balmoral Castle,but I doubt if you would be allowed to pick some while they are green  :D :farmer:

Sharondp

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2010, 06:35:57 pm »
I think I have a walnut tree - should I be picking them now? they don't look like walnuts - green & round!
That's the joy of only having lived here for 6 months - keep discovering new stuff in the garden!

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2010, 06:42:37 pm »
If you want to pickle some Pick a couple and see if you can push a darning needle through the nut.If you cannot because there is something hard stopping you The shell has formed and you are to late this year.Your Geographical location will have effect on the time of year they are best for pickling.Last week in June first week in July is right for the Grimsby latitude I have looked on your profile and I think Gloucester is quite a bit south of Gy so I would think yours will be past the soft stage.Don't waste your time doing hard ones they will be uneatable :D :farmer: :wave:
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 06:48:51 pm by Wizard »

SLI

• Joined Apr 2010
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2010, 07:42:16 pm »
Wizard you are the fount of all knowledge!  :D

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2010, 09:53:08 pm »
SL1 as Ken Dodd said "If only" :D :D :D :farmer: :wave:

SLI

• Joined Apr 2010
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2010, 10:17:24 pm »
Well Wizard, I'm fascinated by the stuff I learn just from reading your posts & recipes.  :)
Sue

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2010, 08:37:30 am »
Hello Sue  Thanks for the encouragement.I don't know of course how far back you go with what I have written on TAS.I am 73 years old and always lived in the country although where we live now is in the village which like so many places is built up all the way into Grimsby town center but goes into the fields going away from Grimsby.I relate myself to the things I've done and seen in the last 70yrs.I still cook and enjoy sharing recipes People may not agree with me but who cares If I say I use a stone of salt I mean I use a stone of salt.I cannot see proper ham being made in 5 days in a vac-pak bag in a fridge.Then my way keeps in the bacon bag hung on a hook in the ceiling for a couple of years The vak-pak way a couple of months judged by the BBE on the bought packs from Tesco.Some one at the door TTFN George

SLI

• Joined Apr 2010
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2010, 08:50:26 pm »
Thanks for the info George. I'm a proper townie - born in the East End of London then lived in Dagenham, Essex. Now in a small seaside village, Winterton on Sea, in Norfolk. I've started growing some veg & have a couple of apple trees, a couple of plum trees & a damson tree. I love the lifestyle although still have to work full time to fund it!
I have 3 sons, 2 grown & one of 13.
I'm already thinking of getting more chooks - my 4 keep me supplied with enough eggs but fancy some more just becasue I enjoy keeping them.
All the best and keep on posting the interesting stuff!
Sue  :wave:

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2010, 10:22:41 pm »
Hello Sue sounds really good to me but keep up the day job it puts stamps on your card ;D as well as money to pay for you little farm It is very difficult to live off the proceeds of a small farm.Going off your project There is a Winterton quite near here and next weekend 24/25 July the North Lincs Vintage Steam Rally will beheld there on the Show Ground I like to go to that lots of reminiscing to do with like people ;D :farmer:

SLI

• Joined Apr 2010
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2010, 08:33:35 am »
Ah I've heard of that Winterton too George. There's also a Winterton in Drakensburg, South Africa & we have a hotel nearby called Hermanus named after another South African place. There are small zulu style round thatched huts there to stay in - I hasten to add with modern facilities! I don't know why there's this South African connection here.
Sue  :wave:

Mickyork

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Yeadingham, North Yorkshire
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2010, 09:56:59 pm »
Serious respect to you Wiz man   8)  So much to learn from you and I will be asking   ;)  All the time  8)
Live for today. Tomorrow never comes

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS