Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Safe paints  (Read 1879 times)

New Riverside Farm

• Joined Aug 2017
Safe paints
« on: September 13, 2017, 07:38:24 pm »
Hello,

We're building out the barn for goats (new to keeping) and want to use goat safe items around as they likely chew wood. So I need to stain some wood to keep it from rotting but not sure what to use?

Would Linseed oil be a good idea? Or other commercial ideas? I generally like natural things as much as possible but economics of cost of product or if they are less reliable, then we're replacing wood all the time, obviously don't want that route either!

Look forward to your response!

Also - any good places to find rubber matting for the floor?

Many thanks!

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
Re: Safe paints
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 09:15:21 pm »
The timber work that is at goat level in our steading was treated when sawn with animal safe preservative ,that was 20 odd years ago , now after years of constant contact with the goats the timber has developed an nice oily type finish from the goats coats , some areas of nibbling /chewing are given a spot of cribbox . As for rubber matting we purchased a large quantity when we bred horses as well as the goats , the local equestrian supplier purchased a shipping container full  in the knowledge she could sell it all , at that time it was about £11 for an 8X4 sheet, 18mm ribbed one side dots on the other, I remember it well, A wet night each sheet heavier than the last ,all sold that evening, stuff was even heavier when I unloaded it at home ! shop around and see if any local supplier is going to get a bulk order in to get a better price , we purchased extra for " just in case "

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 10:15:08 pm »

Our goat house has internal "kick" walls made from standard OSB up to about 4ft (I think) high. The goats don't chew it and it gives additional insulation to their pens. All our goat accommodation is built from wood, all of it is standard treated timber and we have found that once it dries out properly they don't chew it much and so far (8years down the line) we haven't had to replace any yet (except where the boys had a wee fight a couple of years back, but that was broken...)

And as previous poster said - grime helps as well....

We haven't bought any rubber matting or similar, as I don't have a horsey background at all, so never knew about such stuff when I designed/built the goat house. We have a standard concrete base, then deep bedding for most of the year makes for nice warm under-floor heating especially in winter.

All our sheds are screwed together rather than nailed - we can replace individual boards easily if it ever became necessary, good ventilation under the roof space, and onduline roof with a layer of boards underneath for added insulation/strength.

All upright/load-bearing posts are 4 x 4 pressure treated timber and are on U-shape metal supports (put into the concrete when still wet and then screwed into the wood), and so far no rotting at all. Hope this helps.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2017, 12:29:52 am »
My goat shed is lined with Stokbord, for insulation and extra strength. I understand it is intended for lining animal pens so it must be safe for them. Can also be used for flooring. Can't remember the price.

New Riverside Farm

• Joined Aug 2017
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2017, 10:00:48 am »
That's all fantastic information. I'll look into those boards and the paint as well!

Many thanks and I am sure I'll come back if I have more questions!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS