Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How do you make pickled eggs?  (Read 11077 times)

valr

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Brightons nr Falkirk
How do you make pickled eggs?
« on: July 11, 2010, 09:12:15 pm »
I have lots of bantam eggs and jars! Can anyone tell me how to pickle eggs?
Cheers

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
Re: How do you make pickled eggs?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2010, 09:22:53 pm »
Easy!  Hard boil and shell your eggs and put them into sterilized jars.  Top up with vinegar and any spices (optional - sometimes I put a chilli in)  have used dark and clear vinegar in the past but I prefer the clear stuff.

WinslowPorker

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2010, 09:34:05 pm »
Agree with that, malt vinegar makes them just too strong, well for me anyway

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2010, 09:54:26 pm »
I have a see how many eggs fit the jars after I have boiled the for 7 - 8 minutes and cooled them I top up the jars with water and pour it out into a measuring jug So 1750 mils Pour 2 litres of white vinegar into a stainless pan and bring to the boil stir in your favourite spices and a tablespoon of sugar simmer for 15 minutes.Drain the drop of water from the eggs in the jars and replace with the spiced vinegar Seal with vinegar proof lids and store in a dark cupboard.(DO NOT USE GROUND SPICE IT SETTLES AS MUD AND STAINS THE VINEGAR MOST UNSIGHTLY)Leave a month to allow the vinegar to penetrate the eggs. :D :farmer:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2010, 10:52:13 pm »
Recipe on the main TAS site.

Sharondp

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2010, 07:43:18 pm »
Sarson's do a white pickling vinegar with spices already added, so it's as easy as boiling and shelling the eggs, putting them in the jar, pouring over the vinegar and sealing for a month before indulging!
Can't stand 'em meself!  :-[

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2010, 08:37:14 pm »
That is the dear way S and my word the vinegar isn't half sharp It's bloody sour :D :D :farmer:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

valr

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Brightons nr Falkirk
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2010, 09:02:47 pm »
Thanks guys it was malt vinegar I bought .... don't mind them strong, thankfully!
Picked eggs are like marmite - you either love them or hate them I think!

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2010, 10:11:38 pm »
Personally I hate em yuck!

Sharondp

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2010, 10:27:44 pm »
Hmmmm - made some for my da for Father's day - he hasn't mentioned them....maybe I should do it 'properly' next time! ::)

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2010, 07:23:30 am »
Hey Sharon I haven't tried this pickled but if you are having friends round for a bite Hard boil some eggs Then instead of peeling them crack the shells (CAREFULLY) into as many bits as you can without any of the bits falling off the egg and place them still in their cracked shells in a basin.Make some really strong tea and pour it over the eggs and leave over night.When you prepare the food shell the eggs and place in a cereal bowl."WOTS THEM" is the usual reaction first time.I'll try it with some Pickled ones Bantam ones might be a good place to start.Unusual present if it works I'll report ;D :farmer:

Sharondp

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2010, 06:37:35 pm »
Sounds weird! Going to try that with some 'unpickled eggs' - let us know how the pickled ones turn out!

starcana

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2010, 11:04:43 pm »
Will try this but have just made a huuuugggeee jar of pickled cucumbers as I picked 9 from one plant today and have two more plants that aren't quite ready yet!

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2010, 07:55:48 am »
Hello star I will tell you a little white lie :D I don't pickle cucumbers.That is not true because my pal Warwick and I have a recipe we call Pork Pie pickle.It must be made in a jar you can get your hand in and get the pickle out.It consists of Onions cauliflower floret's cucumber triangles kidney bean slices carrot rings Not to many but a few bits red yellow and green capsicum squares,and any other pickleable vegetable that gets in the way.Boil up some vinegar for 10 minutes and add the spices loose Turn down the heat to a very gentle simmer and add sugar and taste and add some more until it is not bitter sour.Turn up the heat to a full rolling boil then through a nylon sieve pour the hot vinegar into the jars.Seal straight away store until the dark nights then Watch TV Pork Pie on a plate and the pickle jar down at the side of the chair You need a towel to wipe your fingers as well.When you find something better for supper on your own without having to cook in the kitchen let us know will you.Mind you its not much if you like pork pie as much as I like FISH ??? ;D ;D ;D :farmer:

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2010, 08:03:41 am »
Which of you good people have made my crackle marked hard boiled eggs.What was the comments ;D :wave:
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 08:05:21 am by Wizard »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS