Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: the costs of home rearing beef for private sale .  (Read 9018 times)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: the costs of home rearing beef for private sale .
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2010, 06:19:12 pm »
Well done, Russ, we'll make an accountant of you yet  ;) ;D ;D ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2010, 06:36:32 pm »
I doubt that Annie ... you'd have your work cut out !!! lol. I was running out of fingers and toes as I was going there ... just made it though .. ::) ;D

cheers

Russ

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2010, 06:37:43 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Barcud

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2010, 02:06:19 pm »

Russ - just come to this late, but you also need to take into account that a lot of that deadweight is bone, which you won't be selling, and some fat so you can lose another 25% + of the deadweight once butchered.
Mike

daddymatty82

• Joined Aug 2010
  • swindon
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2010, 02:54:15 pm »
a friend does beef and makes £1500 clear profit he will buy a few calves cheap at under £100 each keep for 6 -8 mths and all they have cost him is the labour which like you say is your own time so it costs a bag of milk then there turned out after a short while and he does this often in the last yr he decided to downsize and got rid of 15 cows mixture of breeds aswell  so not just a certain type but after paying for transport he made £24k least with a few gallons of milk from each cow you could also sell the excess to friends  which in turn makes more profit for the other animals.

Padge

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Facebook
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2010, 08:53:20 am »
 :o..............daddymatty    where on earth can you buy beast so reasonably???

We looked to buy a Longhorn with calf a year ago and were being asked £1350        which made keeping a couple for the same purpose as Rustyme nothing more than a romantic notion :'(

Muc

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Co Clare, Ireland
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2010, 01:29:10 pm »
A critical factor in the calculation is the weight-of-animal to weight-of-meat percentage. Doganjo suggested, if I read correctly, that it would be 85% and Barcud suggested taking a further 25% off this. That would mean that a 400k animal would yield 240k of meat.

I'm doing the same exercise for two heifers and am calculating on a 50% reduction in weight from live weight to meat. My figures are based on talking to farmers and are very rough but it might be wise to calculate on a worst-case basis.

If it is of interest, here are my figures, which I'm sorry are in euros and kilos, but the percentages should be of interest.

My own figures per animal are: cost of charolais heifer €400, feed supplement and licks €45, slaughter (including butchering, bagging, labeling and blast freezing) €220. Total cost €665. There are favours to be repaid in meat for borrowing a trailer etc.

With a live weight of 500k of which 50% is meat that leaves 250k of meat at €665 or an average of €2.66 per kilo for the meat.

Looking in the supermarket I see that organic mince is nearly €8 a kilo and T-bone, fillet and the choicer joints go up to €25 a kilo.

Hope this is helpful.

PS Anyone know how to convert kilos into litres or c.c (which is the measurements the freezer companies use in this neck of the world).

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS