Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: First slaughter experience UPDATED WITH SECOND  (Read 10220 times)

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: First slaughter experience UPDATED WITH SECOND
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2017, 09:50:55 am »
Can you just get a couple and take them from 8 to 24 weeks next time, then get another 2 ....?  A strong bucket over the head and pushed backwards works if a pig's really being stubborn.  Pigs really don't do backwards very well otherwise.

Steel

• Joined Aug 2017
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2017, 05:26:39 pm »
You could always take them in a little early, say 5-6 months, less pork in the freezer each time but pigs in the paddock more of the year. Of course cost efficiency probably not great this way.

Can you just get a couple and take them from 8 to 24 weeks next time, then get another 2 ....?  A strong bucket over the head and pushed backwards works if a pig's really being stubborn.  Pigs really don't do backwards very well otherwise.

Due to the proportions that we tend to eat different cuts of pigs, we only wanted one 'pork' pig and the other two as 'baconers' (hence the length of time we kept them). The first pig definitely had the 'head' of the bacon but not the 'tail' so we left them a bit longer to mature. I think that was because they were GOS and take a bit longer.

I think the biggest problem was that I was very fond of one of them but realised as we went along that we could not keep him.  :(

Mulled over various ideas last night over a stiff whiskey, such as pig clubs with the neighbours or maybe rehoming a few unwanted 'micro-pigs' (of which Preloved has a shocking amount advertised), but in the cold light of day with a hangover both ideas seem a bit drastic to cope with what is probably normal feelings of guilt and  loss over making that life and death decision. I also couldn't keep pet pigs and meat pigs at the same time - I'd find that too emotionally complex at such an early stage of having the smallholding.

Anyway, DH suggested I needed a project and to get on with getting the sheep. And no, I still haven't decided which ones to keep. I suspect the decision will be made when an unexpected opportunity presents itself.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 05:41:19 pm by Steel »

greenbeast

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2017, 09:01:01 pm »
admittedly i have the luxury of numbers changing the emotional dynamic. When i lose sow that is a favourite it does hit hard but i'm taking 1-5 pigs in every week from our grower pens, and i'm not too bothered these days.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 09:15:47 pm by greenbeast »

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2017, 08:03:31 am »
I guess you could say that we have a pig club of sorts. Neighbours, a few mins walk down the road, were envious that we have land and they don't as they always wanted pigs so we decided to go halves. Even then it's a fair amount of pork so we only do it every 2 years which gives the paddock time to recover too.

We share costs of everything but, as they work full time, we mainly do the feeding. When they are on holiday for a few days they do take their turn in looking after them and enjoy it.

Spread the word, you may find like minded people
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Steel

• Joined Aug 2017
« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2017, 08:17:48 am »
I guess you could say that we have a pig club of sorts. Neighbours, a few mins walk down the road, were envious that we have land and they don't as they always wanted pigs so we decided to go halves. Even then it's a fair amount of pork so we only do it every 2 years which gives the paddock time to recover too.

We share costs of everything but, as they work full time, we mainly do the feeding. When they are on holiday for a few days they do take their turn in looking after them and enjoy it.

Spread the word, you may find like minded people

I only have four neighbours and I know two will not, but the other two might. I also know there are a couple of people at work who want to do 'the Good Life' but circumstances dictate they can't do it for a few years yet. They might be interested.

Just had another large chest freezer delivered this morning for the pigglies when they come back.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 08:24:24 am by Steel »

susie100

• Joined Feb 2018
« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2018, 04:29:06 pm »
Hi, I kept my first livestock last year and had two Gloucester Old Spots.  Everyone kept telling me how I would fall in love with them and never want to be parted and, as I love animals, I was very apprehensive but we bought a house with land and it seemed criminal not to put it to use.  I had so wanted to go down the line of a mobile slaughterman but they really don't seem to exist. I dreaded the whole abattoir thing but, weirdly, I was fine with it all. Not the nicest, cleanest place.  No soft music and beds of hay as I had hoped for.   I think for me the key was not to get too involved with them emotionally.  I didn't treat them as pets. I was kind and careful and I even scratched their heads and tummies occasionally but I never 'cooed' to them or really talked to them and tried hard not to look them in the eye.  When I was getting them used to going in and out of the trailer I just put a trail of food, stood back and waited, no coaxing as that would have entailed communication and I couldn't do it or I knew I wouldn't be letting them go and would have expensive pigs as pets. The only names they had was Mr Pork and Miss Bacon. They saw me as a being that fed them and they were relaxed in my company. To be honest, they want their own kind, it is us who think they want to be looked after like a human baby, it fulfills some desire in us.  My advice is perhaps to follow suit??  You are left with the knowledge they were well looked after and treated with respect.  I am not a cold person but falling in love with them doesn't help your situation.  I am loving the respite from looking after them (I am not cut out to be a full-time farmer) and looking forward to repeating the experience later this spring, perhaps another rare breed.  Good luck and enjoy it

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2018, 04:02:55 pm »
i have always taken my pigs in myself. Think the guy is a bit sacred as the very first time I made it clear he was not to bully or shout in any way . I handle them every day, just me  so they know I am the person who feeds and takes care of them. They load easy enough for me, come out the other end and follow me in. Its not until we are on our way back home that I show I am upset. its my job to make my pigs feel happy right up to the end and if anyone thinks they can do better god help them.

honeyend

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2018, 06:12:31 pm »
i have always taken my pigs in myself. Think the guy is a bit sacred as the very first time I made it clear he was not to bully or shout in any way . I handle them every day, just me  so they know I am the person who feeds and takes care of them. They load easy enough for me, come out the other end and follow me in. Its not until we are on our way back home that I show I am upset. its my job to make my pigs feel happy right up to the end and if anyone thinks they can do better god help them.
This is pretty much me. I do not eat meat but I am pragmatic that most people do and that's what most farm animals are there for.
  They have a lovely stress free life, they get the odd back rub, but they are not pets. They sleep in the trailer over night and I took them to the butchers. There is not need to get aggressive with them as they will follow  a bucket.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS