Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Seasonal Canine Illness  (Read 2500 times)

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
Seasonal Canine Illness
« on: September 01, 2017, 01:14:53 pm »
We took our sprocker puppy with us yesterdaywhilst we picked damsons at a friend's orchard. On the way back she was crying and rubbing her paws on the bed.  This morning she had really bad diarrhoea so we took her to the Vet, who immediately started to inspect he paws ( hadn't mentioned the paw rubbing at this stage) the Vet showed us the tiny orange harvest mite  between her paws. This had caused the diarrhoea. She was given a flea treatment and an anti sickness injection and we have mail on to give her twice a day. Vet instructed us to take her back immediately if she did not perk up. Apparently this can be fatal to dogs. We have never heard of this before. Had we not taken her the outcome may have been fatal. It only happens this time of year. Sorry for the long rant but I'm concerned that it could be easily overlooked in other dogs

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Seasonal Canine Illness
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2017, 01:26:24 pm »
Thanks for  the heads up - post on public domains too if you can - twitter, facebook etc
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2017, 10:04:07 pm »
interesting - didn't know it was linked to harvest mites.
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2017, 11:28:13 pm »
Very interesting this... Will certainly keep an eye on our dogs just in case :) I hope he gets better soon!
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2017, 04:53:37 pm »
Now then, this sounds different to the "(something) rot" that is also horrid?

Thanks for the heads up :) Hope pup feels better soon.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2017, 09:08:06 pm »
Hope your pup is doing okay now?

Thanks for making us aware. I'd never heard of this and wouldn't have linked symptoms with mites.  :o

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2017, 11:18:37 pm »
Now then, this sounds different to the "(something) rot" that is also horrid?

Thanks for the heads up :) Hope pup feels better soon.
Alabama
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2017, 09:39:21 am »
Daisy the pup is now bouncing around and terrorising Poppy the Springer. Taking her back to the Vet today as she still has a ploy bum

Jukes Mum

• Joined Apr 2014
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2017, 11:39:09 am »
I nearly lost a dog to this a few years back. He was very ill indeed.
I don't know how to insert a link, but it should be below at the end of the posts.
Please check between your dogs toes very carefully. None of the dogs affected when mine was ill had itchy feet at all.
Don’t Monkey With Another Monkey’s Monkey

Jukes Mum

• Joined Apr 2014
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2017, 11:43:42 am »
Don’t Monkey With Another Monkey’s Monkey

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS