Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Rat Poison  (Read 5150 times)

angie

• Joined Jul 2016
Re: Rat Poison
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2017, 06:47:36 pm »
We've used eradicate to good effect

Glencairn

• Joined Jun 2017
  • Dumfriesshire
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2017, 10:05:22 am »
Not a big fan of this sort of thing, but there are times when it is needed, seen a few types out there, inc Bromadiolone what kind of results have you all had, anything your recommend?

Bromadiolone is suitable for rats, if you want something that will deal with mice too and is less dangerous for livestock/pets then Difenacoum is equally as widely available, they do have to eat proportionately more for it to be effective.

There's interesting reading here- (god I'm dull!).

http://www.pestmagazine.co.uk/media/245855/32-33-know-your-poison.pdf

If it were me, I would be using blocks/paste sachets in a bait station and combine that with trapping.
The genuine Kness Snap-e traps are good if you don't want to go all the way and use a Fenn Mk4.

I've had good results using crunchy peanut butter as bait.

Also important is I've been round all my neighbours trying to get a unified approach to keeping on top of the rat problem, when they've established a colony and commenced their breeding cycle they can be difficult to get rid of.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 10:06:54 am by Glencairn »

JackandJill

• Joined Mar 2015
  • Aberareon, Ceredigion
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2017, 10:39:28 am »
thanks everyone for the interesting discussion and advice.  I've been using blocks in bait boxes and the volume of poison taken has reduced drastically, I'll keep these regularly maintained as prevention of future problems.

As many of you have said, this is not something any of us really want to do, however, I am always trying to cause the least harm, but we do raise animals for meat and that life and death are part of the cycle for all things on the smallholding, we are always wanting to therefore ensure its as quick and painless as possible.

Again thank you all for your thoughts

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2017, 05:19:17 pm »
We use air rifles with night vision cameras.
Simply put out corn for bait and wait. Effective, quick and distress free......plus very satisfying  :thumbsup:

Don't use bait anymore after my jack Russell took to seeking out and eating blocks.

Deere

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Peak District
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2017, 11:17:32 am »
Just stumbled across this post,

I do Pest Control (moles, mice, rats and rabbits) amongst the many other jobs I have and have all the right pieces of paper.

Mr or Mrs J Public can go into any country type store place and purchase up to 1.5kg of bait, wether that's the pasta, blocks, paste or grain and use that on their own property.

You can do an online learning course with test for around £100 that will allow you to buy larger amounts in one go. There are many that do not agree with this online learning as there is no evidence of who is actually answering the test questions and submitting or even if you have google opened up and are searching the answers.

I have been to many farms and private premises and the first piece of advice is to have a very good tidy up and remove all sources of cover and food. After this ).

Rats are shy and don't like new things so they may take a while to gain entry to the boxes. Also it is important to identify the problem is rats not mice as different traps/methods can be used. After they start to take the baits I will then start to set the traps.

Once the main numbers are controlled I may switch to a block bait (especially where birds and other animals or pets are present) and then onto a non toxic monitoring block once uptake has stopped.  These can then be checked weekly/monthly to see if rodent activity is present. The trap can then be set again to start the cycle again. 
All of the above would be recorded in the Properties Pest control file.

Pedigree Ryelands, Charolais cross Mules

Deere

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Peak District
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2017, 11:19:24 am »
and to answer your original question, Yes but you may get on better trapping them.
Pedigree Ryelands, Charolais cross Mules

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS