Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Did ringing the goats work?  (Read 3214 times)

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
Did ringing the goats work?
« on: August 15, 2017, 03:06:31 pm »
Hi
Ringed the boys at under 7 days (boers). Now 4 month old. Should there be 2 lumps there?
OH assures me he got them right. (I hold, he rings). But never noticed the lumps before. They've all got 2, so is it normal.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 10:40:45 pm by penninehillbilly »

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
Re: Did ringing the goats work?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2017, 10:42:49 pm »
Anybody ?
Want to sell them as castrated, but daren't advertise them in case they aren't right.
Should there be small lumps there or should it be smooth?

Melmarsh

• Joined May 2014
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2017, 11:09:38 pm »
I've rung kids and lambs and beverage lumps when the sack has dropped off !! No offence but how much experience has whoever did them got ?? He may have rung the sack without the testicles in it ?!?! Best bet is pop one in a car and take to the vet to check.

Talana

• Joined Mar 2014
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2017, 09:11:55 am »
My togg wethers that were rung are smooth. Get checked if not sure.

Melmarsh

• Joined May 2014
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2017, 01:37:59 pm »
May I ask ?? Any outcome or information gleamed re the ?? Wethers ?

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2017, 02:21:18 pm »
Haven't had them checked yet. not done many, but husband convinced he got everything.

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2017, 02:47:47 pm »
Confess I missed one last year. First year doing goats, smaller and more fiddly than sheep. It became obvious by late August when he took a piggy back ride one one of the does. Separated out immediately (no harm done!) and Vet finished the job I had failed to do using the approved method.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2017, 12:17:11 pm »
Someone looked at them this morning, def a rig, what would the vet do and how much would it be? Would he be worth selling him as he is?

mart6

• Joined Sep 2014
  • Notts / Yorkshire border
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2017, 08:00:46 pm »
Someone looked at them this morning, def a rig, what would the vet do and how much would it be? Would he be worth selling him as he is?
Vet charged me £100  after quoting £50   :o they cut sac/skin and remove testicle/s  took 20mins
Think sometimes one drops later pays to double check before you commit  or vet option adds up if you miss a few

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2017, 10:10:03 pm »
Similar price to [member=99582]mart6[/member]    Wasn't too traumatic for the goat, but nonetheless it would have been better for the goat if I had got it right in the first place, and a lot cheaper. Rather than get too hung up on the £££ side ( he later sold for about what the op had cost) I thought of it more as a lesson to me in the need to be very careful,t get it right first time.  Main change I made this year is to leave the ringing to day 7 to make sure the testis have dropped and as large as possible.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2017, 01:40:39 am »
What are you selling them for???  If meat then it won't make much difference, if pets then you're just passing the problem along so you should reflect that in the price of the sale...
I was hoping I could sell them soon for someone to finish, i suppose if he's going to start smelling I'd better get rid asap.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2017, 01:43:45 am »
Vet charged me £100  after quoting £50   :o they cut sac/skin and remove testicle/s  took 20mins
Think sometimes one drops later pays to double check before you commit  or vet option adds up if you miss a few
That's more than I'm likely to get for them, lesson is already well and truly learned.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS