Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Texel throat  (Read 4698 times)

Oopsiboughtasheep

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Hampshire
Texel throat
« on: August 14, 2017, 02:49:11 pm »
My favourite sheep, Knitty, has been diagnosed with Texel throat (Laryngeal chondrosis) this morning. She is 3yrs old, texel x ryeland and she is a pet/mower. She has always been a bit of a 'heavy breather' but this morning was worse and noisy and rapid. Mindful of so much of the advice on here about pneumonia developing very quickly, I just went straight ahead and called the vet. She hasn't got anything wrong with her chest fortunately. He told me that this condition is common in texel Rams in particular. She has had a shot of steroid and some antibiotic for 5 days. He said that I have noticed it very early and hopefully it won't recur. On the other hand it might and sometimes they deteriorate quickly, especially if stressed in any way.
She is eating, drinking, mixing with the other 5 and seems OK in herself. She passed my digestive biscuit test, which was heartening for me. I know that lots of you have had poorly sheep that you were fond of despite being 'professionals' (unlike me) so hopefully won't just shout 'cull her' and I would value any advice if anyone has experience of this themselves? Is there anything at all that I can do which might help or prevent this from happening again? He did mention keeping her weight down. She will never be bred from and she lives a very stress free life. I am very fond of her. Sorry to ramble!
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 03:52:40 pm by Oopsiboughtasheep »
Anything that costs you your peace is too expensive

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
Re: Texel throat
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2017, 09:05:56 pm »
We have a texel tup with this condition, he's come down with it twice. Unlike your ewe he is not a pet and we are not best pleased with the breeder we bought him off who says it is not heriditary and he will be fine.  We will not keep any offspring and he's off on the one way bus when (and if ever) he gets fat. 

Avoid stress for your ewe, and avoid feeding any sticky feeds, and just keep a close eye on her.  It may never occur again or then it might... Good luck with her!
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

Oopsiboughtasheep

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Hampshire
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2017, 09:29:07 am »
Many thanks Old Shep. The vet told me that it can be inherited, so not to breed from her. Her breathing is a bit less noisy this morning, so fingers crossed for her.
The vet recommended that to assist her diet, I should get more sheep! Will be advising my husband of this later today.......! ;D

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2017, 10:39:04 am »
You may find it difficult to keep the weight off unless you top the grazing through the Summer.  I believe Texel Throat is hereditary.

Oopsiboughtasheep

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Hampshire
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2017, 11:42:34 am »
Thank you MF. She is much better today.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS