Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Orf in lamb  (Read 4837 times)

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
Re: Orf in lamb
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2017, 10:09:22 am »
Yes - that's exactly how we did it Sally. Scabivax and cross, breaking skin on inside of thigh. I still have vivid memories of it more than 20 years later. I upturned and held the sheep while my sister, who is a nurse, vaccinated them. She had done it before while helping a friend in the Dales, and being a nurse she was quite used to doing that sort of thing, so I used to get her to do injections for me as well.
The reason why the occasion  is inprinted on my brain is because  my sister is very accident prone, and anything to do with her and a sharp implements always had the potential for lateral damage. I therefore carefully watched every sweep of the needle to avoid getting vaccinated myself! 
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

crobertson

• Joined Sep 2015
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2017, 05:54:37 pm »
We had a couple with it a few years ago, from what I remember we bathed with salt water or hibiscrub 3-4 times a day and put a bit of sudocrem or germaline on, kept a salt lick in with them and I think you can buy a special orf paste but we never got round to that as it cleared in within a week or two.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2017, 11:04:32 pm »
Yes - that's exactly how we did it Sally. Scabivax and cross, breaking skin on inside of thigh. I still have vivid memories of it more than 20 years later.

I imagine there have been many advances in vaccination production over twenty years, hence why we find it very effective now.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

larrylamb

• Joined Feb 2014
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2017, 11:13:10 pm »
My lambs had orf last year I went straight to mole valley and got some orf paste great stuff it's green paste with a little spoon thing to apply paste so you don't touch the orf or you can catch it they where fine in a couple of days great stuff

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS