Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Electric fencing and brambles  (Read 2345 times)

jheard

• Joined Dec 2015
Electric fencing and brambles
« on: August 08, 2017, 08:28:35 am »
Hi

We have approx an acre of land newly fenced off to put 2 pigs into as growers. The fencing is stock fencing but I wanted to run a strand of electric fencing on the inside to stop them rooting up any bits where there are 1-2 inch gaps in uneven land. However, one side is flanked by brambles which were cut back to allow the fencing so they are small at the moment and perfect for pigs to root around in but I think will probably make putting the electric fence in impossible as they grow or will play havoc once it is in. Is there any alternative? Do we need the electric? (The gaps are on the bramble side). I have no experience of electric fencing or fencing for pigs so if anyone can suggest what's best?!!! Cheers

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • The Accidental Smallholder
    • Facebook
Re: Electric fencing and brambles
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2017, 09:40:04 am »
We've found a line of barb at ground level deters pigs from rooting along the fence line. It should be effective with 1-2 inch gaps, they'd need to go a fair depth to avoid being jagged on the barb.

greenbeast

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2017, 11:32:11 am »
You'll have to just keep on top of the brambles as they grow if you decide on electric.
We avoided barb initially because I hate it but electric alone is not perfect. Similarly barb at the bottom won't stop them pushing the net or climbing it and loosening it. So any future pens here will have both.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 09:47:12 pm by greenbeast »

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2017, 11:55:00 am »
When I was a child, we kept outdoor pigs.  They were kept in place by two strands of plain wire, electrified, one a few inches above the ground, the other 10" above that.  Not net and not barbed wire - I detest that stuff.  You would need to keep the area under the electrified wire clear, with a strimmer.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2017, 01:28:32 pm »
Pigs do respect electric fencing but they they need to be taught what it is in a small area otherwise they are likely just to run through it. Any other fencing you want to keep pigs in must be well constructed with no weak points. It is often said "fences or buildings for use by pigs should be able to hold water!". They are very strong and intelligent. They remember escape routes and weak points. Never electric fence across exit points. They will remember and not cross when you want to move them.

An acre for two growers is a lot. You could split it with your electric fence and move them around.

jheard

• Joined Dec 2015
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2017, 06:09:30 pm »
Thanks all. Barbed wire doesn't seem right but that was the only alternative I could think of. Maybe we'll keep it strimmed and hope! We've divided the acre in 2 already and plan to rotate them when needed. Thanks all

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2017, 09:55:31 pm »
I should have mentioned that pigs are far from daft and soon learn when the electrified fence is shorting out or off, by the sound.  Then they're through  :pig: :pig:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

greenbeast

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2017, 10:45:18 pm »
I should have mentioned that pigs are far from daft and soon learn when the electrified fence is shorting out or off, by the sound.  Then they're through  :pig: :pig:

This is why I'd never not have stock net behind it but then we have minimal boundary fencing and a lot of pigs I don't want mixing ??

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS