Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Vet fees  (Read 4443 times)

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: Vet fees
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2017, 08:07:21 am »
Yes. For most things people locally take their sheep to the vet rather than call out. They only call out for cattle.

Have you got transport though? Maybe not if you only have a few sheep.

When we started out our neighbour used to let us borrow his trailer.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2017, 08:13:56 am »
In the Hills  has given sound advice here .....  you need to get a 'holding area' for sheep.... most people buy hurdles and use a corner of a field. 

It sounds as if you could really do with some confidence building and instruction about sheep keeping, if there is no close smallholder or farmer who can give you some hints/tips and instruction then maybe you could get on a course locally .... or do a weekend break at a smallholding where you can help with sheep.   You would be very welcome here but I expect you could find somewhere more local.
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

nimbusllama

• Joined Nov 2010
  • Near Mansfield, Nottinghamshire
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2017, 09:03:14 am »
There on 0.75 of an acre but have no means of cornering them or containing them ?
What on earth am I going to do ?
I can get two of them to stand still as bucket training but two are nervous still
How did you catch them to take the photos?

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2017, 09:56:58 am »
Think it's an infected injection site from footvax shot I've one with open wound and one with lump
The oily adjuvant contained in Footvax gave us a similar problem with lumps, mainly with the young sheep which rubbed the injection site raw.  We had to catch them every few days and spray with antibiotic spray until the wounds healed.  You'll still need to catch them, though.  Have you read Tim Tyne's book on Sheep Keeping for Smallholders?   Are you planning to keep them on .75 acre for a long period?   

Tracy mayoh

• Joined Jul 2017
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2017, 01:20:30 pm »
Yes I'm it's the only land I have at present I've only got 4
I'm planning to supplement their feed as and when required

Tracy mayoh

• Joined Jul 2017
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2017, 01:21:56 pm »
Made a holding area this morning ready for vets arrival so now a small secure corner is available for them

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2017, 01:34:35 pm »
Yes. For most things people locally take their sheep to the vet rather than call out. They only call out for cattle.

Whereas our vet really doesn't want sheep brought in. I offered to take a tup in to them to have him vascectomised, but they really would rather do it in the field.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2017, 02:12:10 pm »

Whereas our vet really doesn't want sheep brought in. I offered to take a tup in to them to have him vascectomised, but they really would rather do it in the field.

Ours don't either, they always come to us even if for a lamb. I wouldn't want to stress a ewe having problems lambing by bundling her into a trailer and taking her to the vets so glad our vets always come to us.

Black Sheep

• Joined Sep 2015
  • Briercliffe
    • Monk Hall Farm
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2017, 07:23:41 pm »
[member=172245]Tracy mayoh[/member] - have a look at Myerscough College courses. They run a Practical Sheep Handling day from time to time, as well as  lambing evening if you progress that way. The practical day covered catching, turning, checking feet, injecting, drenching and dagging as well as looking at some of the stuff around using handling systems.

http://www.myerscough.ac.uk/courses/agriculture/type/short-courses/

http://www.myerscough.ac.uk/courses/countryside/practical-sheep-handling-and-management/

It's within easy distance of you - we used to live just up the road from where you are - and the tutor is great and adapts content to need. It was a small group when I did it - just 5 or 6 of us. You'll probably need to ring the college and ask them when they are putting it on next as I think it depends on demand. Which, if it helps, I'd be interested in doing it again as we get closer to getting our own sheep in a few months (assuming move all goes well).

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2017, 08:35:10 am »

Ours don't either, they always come to us even if for a lamb. I wouldn't want to stress a ewe having problems lambing by bundling her into a trailer and taking her to the vets so glad our vets always come to us.
[/quote]

.... ours is commercial farm vet and sheep are taken there by all farmers ... including lambing ewes ... they have dedicated room .... however if you are lucky like us the 'trauma' of landy ride sorted the problem and lamb was born in landy in car park .... no vet fee required :)
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2017, 09:18:47 am »
Ours is solely farm vet too, just different ways of running a business. They don't have a surgery as such though as they are purely large animal farm vets, so are totally mobile and very quick at getting to us if a problem occurs. No surgery, just offices keeps the cost down which can then be passed onto farmers. They are very competitive on price and the care second to none.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2017, 03:09:29 pm »
Interesting that some 'farm' vets actually come out for sheep.

Same here as for you Backinwellies, even if they're lambing they're taken to the vet.
Pull trailer up next to designated room and treated there.

Twotwo

• Joined Aug 2015
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2017, 03:28:54 pm »
We have a really helpful local vets practice, they are very happy to give advice over the phone ( no cost) they come out if ness ( although expensive, call out fee + set amount per 10 mins). They also have a smallholders group with a couple of meetings each year and lambing courses. They also do FEC's ( if you time it right they ring with results the same day )

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS