Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Vet fees  (Read 4442 times)

Tracy mayoh

• Joined Jul 2017
Vet fees
« on: August 03, 2017, 08:01:51 pm »
What's the norm price for vet to give a shot of antibiotic to a sheep
New to sheep keeping so don't know what to expect

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
Re: Vet fees
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2017, 08:37:19 pm »
If the vet has not seen the flock previously there is likely to be an examination fee of £25-30. A call out during normal working hours is about £30. Antibiotics injections are between £5-25. Hope that helps. What's the problem with your sheep?

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2017, 08:39:26 pm »
Take sheep to vets ... No call out fee
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Tracy mayoh

• Joined Jul 2017
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2017, 08:40:05 pm »
Think it's an infected injection site from footvax shot I've one with open wound and one with lump

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2017, 09:38:08 pm »
Tracy,  Regardless of whether the vet actually gives an injection or not, make sure you get them to show you how to give injections yourself. There are two types; sub-cutaneous, which goes in just under the skin, and intra-muscular, which goes deep into the muscle. Make sure they show you both the correct sites and method for each type of injection, since this will save you many a call-out fee in future  :thumbsup: .

Our vet charges much the same as Possum's BTW.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Tracy mayoh

• Joined Jul 2017
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2017, 09:44:18 pm »
Yes will do it wasn't me who gave the injection in the first place but will defo have a few lessons in it

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2017, 10:23:38 pm »
Our vets don't charge a call out fee, just pay for time on farm (£X per hour) minimum charge of 20 mins. Out of hour charge £25. That's a dedicated farm vet though and most do charge call outs plus time spent on farm. Depending on antibiotic used could be £2 upwards to £20.

Tracy mayoh

• Joined Jul 2017
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2017, 10:27:40 pm »
Antibiotics not as dear as I thought then I'm quite surprised
Cheers

Tracy mayoh

• Joined Jul 2017
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2017, 10:29:12 pm »
Are vets good at catching sheep only had mine two week so there still abut frisky

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2017, 10:30:47 pm »
You should have them contained ready to treat when the vet arrived and hold them still for the vet, not expect the vet to catch them in the field !

Tracy mayoh

• Joined Jul 2017
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2017, 10:38:38 pm »
There on 0.75 of an acre but have no means of cornering them or containing them ?
What on earth am I going to do ?
I can get two of them to stand still as bucket training but two are nervous still

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2017, 10:43:34 pm »
Have you got any hurdles to pen them up? Or a neighbour that might be able to lend you some. Sorry but every time we have the vet to sheep or cows they are always always contained ready for treatment.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2017, 06:57:20 am »
You will need to get them penned before the vet arrives.  They'll be harder to catch once there's a stranger present, not to mention the lack of respect it shows to the vet if you haven't caught the patients.  I'd expect a much bigger bill if the vet has to spend time chasing sheep around a .75ac field before he/she can inspect them!
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

crobertson

• Joined Sep 2015
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2017, 08:00:43 am »
We've always taken our to the vets and it then only costs about £10 max for antibiotics

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2017, 08:04:58 am »
You need to make a holding area maybe in the corner of the field. You can use hurdles or fence a corner in some other way. You can use a hurdle as a gate so that you can lock sheep in.

Put a feed trough in there. Call your sheep and pour some food in the trough. When they are all in, close the gate.

You'll find threads on here which describe methods of catching up your sheep. It's not always as easy as it sounds so you need to catch on a regular basis so that they get used to it. Some breeds are more difficult than others.

You'll need to be able to do this so that you can treat ill sheep but also for routine treatment eg. Fly preventative.

Our Soay often get lumps after Heptavac injections. I'm not sure if due to our poor technique or a reaction. We've all tried giving the injection and doesn't seem to matter they get lumps.

The lump usually bursts and heals by itself. We do sometimes give the wound a spray with the blue stuff but not always. We just keep a careful eye on the sheep for infection or fly strike. Always healed fine so far.

You might find these lumps heal fine by themselves.

Have you got a friendly farmer nearby who could give you a bit of help with your flock of a local smallholders group.

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS