Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Fly Strike prevention?  (Read 3395 times)

TracyC

• Joined Aug 2016
Fly Strike prevention?
« on: July 27, 2017, 10:40:03 am »
Hi All

We have 3 sheep that are now 1.5 years old.  They were sheared in June, heptavac P in May time (amount per vets guideline space correctly apart) and I am getting a worm count done now to see if they need worming.

What do I do for fly strike prevention?  I'm told I should have treated them a couple of weeks after shearing?  Thank you.

Also any advice on what to do pre tup?  Except loose weight - they are rather rotund!

All advice welcome. Thanks

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: Fly Strike prevention?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2017, 11:11:19 am »
I Clik my senior sheep as soon as the fleece regrows to around 1cm long, which is when the maggots can cling on.  Lambs are Clik'd in May, as soon as I see more than 6 greenbottles in a day.  At this point in the year you could probably get away with using Crovect, which isn't as long-lasting.  Have you actually condition-scored your sheep by feeling their spinal processes?  They may look round, which is partly dependent on their breed, but not actually be carrying that much across their spinal column.

Melmarsh

• Joined May 2014
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2017, 12:33:27 pm »
Hi re your question about fly strike prevention..... use clik for up to 16 weeks cover or clikzin for 8 weeks cover , both these sprays are expensive but IMO do the job. If applied correctly they fleece bind , spreading throughout the fleece to protect the sheep. Get a bottle with a long use by date although I have used out of date with no problems. Or find another smallholder and share. There are lots of other products that work but you need to spray all over the sheep as they only protect the area that's been sprayed. It may also be worth having some treatment to hand , in case , as it's not the sort of thing that you can put off treating , hours can mean the difference between survival and not. Hope this helps.

Fieldfare

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2017, 02:34:40 pm »
It must be said that the ingredients in Clik and Crovect are not very nice with long withdrawal periods. Instead for a small number of sheep you could just keep a close eye on them (carefully watch them 2x per day). If they do get struck (indicators are obvious itching etc.) you can then catch the animal and shear off the maggots and treat the affected area with something safe-ish such as Iodine solution. Just make sure you can easily get them caught up ,as you do need to act within the same day you see the issue. The process is actually easy if you only have a few animals.

Sheep which are in poor condition and scouring have the greater chance at getting strike- yours sound well-fed and healthy so probably low risk!

I have approx. 20-30 in summer and have perhaps 1 case of strike every 2 years (which I successfully clear up as above as soon as I see the problem- and it only ever hits the weakest of the flock- usually a lamb of a less-milky mum)- definitely not worth using a nasty chemical deterrent in my opinion. 

Clay

• Joined Oct 2016
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2017, 04:23:52 pm »
Hi All

We have 3 sheep that are now 1.5 years old.  They were sheared in June, heptavac P in May time (amount per vets guideline space correctly apart) and I am getting a worm count done now to see if they need worming.

What do I do for fly strike prevention?  I'm told I should have treated them a couple of weeks after shearing?  Thank you.

Also any advice on what to do pre tup?  Except loose weight - they are rather rotund!

Not wishing to hijack the thread but where are you going to get the worm egg count done at?

All advice welcome. Thanks

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2017, 05:25:35 pm »
for only 3 sheep, if you watch them regularly, I would just use a weak jeyes solution sprayed on. I keep a spray bottle near the gate, if weather is warm I have a close look at each sheep, if there are flies about I spray anyway.  disposed of the boy who was a regular target :-(.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2017, 02:48:33 pm »
Keeping them dagged and ensuring their feet are clear of scald and footrot may help you get by without a pour-on  but I remember one year heavy rain caused fleece rot in some of our sheep and they were struck across the shoulders.  Strike there can be more difficult to spot as they can't nab at the irritation like they do with strike under the tail or a foot.

TracyC

• Joined Aug 2016
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2017, 03:36:03 pm »
A great mix of responses there so thanks to everyone.  They are at home with us so we do watch them daily and they will be checked when brought in for the worm count, so I'll start with that - thank you all.

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2017, 08:38:12 am »
[quote author=Fieldfare link=topic=84893
Sheep which are in poor condition and scouring have the greater chance at getting strike- yours sound well-fed and healthy so probably low risk!

I have approx. 20-30 in summer and have perhaps 1 case of strike every 2 years (which I successfully clear up as above as soon as I see the problem- and it only ever hits the weakest of the flock- usually a lamb of a less-milky mum)- definitely not worth using a nasty chemical deterrent in my opinion.
[/quote]

Fair enough, but you cannot extrapolate, some farms are at far greater risk from strike than others. We have one place we dare not step out of the car without insect repellent

EP90

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Ireland
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2017, 08:54:45 am »
http://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/forum/index.php?topic=83756.msg647348#msg647348

As you're talking about 3 sheep the above link may be of interest, especially the last 3 posts.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2017, 10:06:19 am »
[quote author=Fieldfare link=topic=84893

Fair enough, but you cannot extrapolate, some farms are at far greater risk from strike than others. We have one place we dare not step out of the car without insect repellent
[/quote]

Agree- wouldn't dare not use a prevention down here where it is mild and wet pretty much all year round. One of my ewes was struck on 10th may this year, on her shoulders and back, she was crutched before lambing and totally clean. I use crovect religiously every 6 weeks.

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2017, 04:57:56 pm »
Had strike in a Lleyn x Beulah mid October (yes October) last year

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2017, 05:04:07 pm »
Also to add clik has a long withdrawal but Crovect is 8 days.

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS