Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: DIY fly deterrent, repellent ??  (Read 3941 times)

EP90

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Ireland
DIY fly deterrent, repellent ??
« on: May 18, 2017, 06:45:14 pm »
I remember a thread last year but can’t find it using search.  Anyone got a link?

I can no longer get Crovect here and Clik is expensive for only 6 lambs, with it being only in large quantities.

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
Re: DIY fly deterrent, repellent ??
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2017, 08:11:44 pm »
There are many brands that have the same active ingredient as crovect. Ask your vet or ag store what they have as an alternative as no homemade remedy is proven as effective as the chemical treatment.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2017, 08:47:58 pm »
You should be able to buy crovect or similar online- Mole Valley (they may ring before the order is processed as it's a medicine) is one that may have it.

EP90

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Ireland
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2017, 07:05:29 pm »
Crovect is not licensed in Ireland so not available.  Agri stores have Clik 2.2 ltrs for €145 which is rather expensive for 6 lambs.
UK Agri stores require a flock number as it’s a medicine and don’t recognise an Irish one nor post to Ireland.
The thread I recall had contributors that had success with home recipes. Maybe one of the contributors has a link?
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 07:07:01 pm by EP90 »

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2017, 08:42:41 am »
You can use an infusion of quassia chip with a lot of citronella, the flies completely despise this smell. If you like I can ask mum how she used to make it? Cheaper to make than buy. I will say this though you do need to spray them often...
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2017, 12:56:00 pm »
Have you looked at BARRIER BLOWFLY REPEL  or at Blowfly Traps ?

EP90

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Ireland
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2017, 02:04:52 pm »
WaterBuffalofarmer.  Thanks for your offer most appreciated but hopefully not needed now.

Shep53.  Not heard of Barrier Blowfly Repel so it was never entered in my searches.  Found some at VioVet and they post, 500ml for £20.  Great heads up, thanks.  If I remember I’ll do a review at the end of the year.

EP90

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Ireland
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2017, 04:03:19 pm »
Lambs have made it safely to the Butcher  :relief:

It was suggested I try  "Barrier Blowfly Repel" as an alternative, as in above posts.
Logically I can neither endorse nor decry the product BUT I did use it and did not have a fly problem, nor did I see flies on their fleece.  For the hobbyist it may be worth considering, if like me you can't get Crovect or can only get Click in large quantities.

crobertson

• Joined Sep 2015
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2017, 08:17:43 pm »
I have also used the barrier blow fly reply as a 'top up' when the crovect is coming towards the end of cover and never had a problem. We didn't use it at the end of Sept when the corvect cover was ending and got a case of flystrike last week - could be complete coincidence though.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2017, 08:57:31 pm »
You should be able to buy crovect or similar online- Mole Valley (they may ring before the order is processed as it's a medicine) is one that may have it.

Mole Valley sell their own version, Molecto
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

nimbusllama

• Joined Nov 2010
  • Near Mansfield, Nottinghamshire
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2017, 11:59:09 pm »
I think the product might have been 'Neem Oil'.  I don't know anything about it's effectiveness but just remembered the name from a previous post.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS