Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Short term insurance for moving a caravan  (Read 3232 times)

GribinIsaf

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Montgomeryshire
    • Gribin Isaf
Short term insurance for moving a caravan
« on: July 26, 2017, 10:07:22 am »
We have just bought a caravan second hand and at the weekend will be towing it 84 miles to bring it home.  Once here it will not leave!

Our motor insurance will cover third party risk for the journey but not insure the caravan itself.

(Also home insurer can't do it)

Does anyone know a company that could provide that cover?

Thanks
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 10:24:09 am by GribinIsaf »

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Re: Short term insurance for moving a caravan
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2017, 10:27:24 am »
It might be worth calling a couple of 'hired in plant' insurers to see if they would write you a short term policy. We hired a mini digger recently, and had to get insurance for it. I found several companies who were willing to provide insurance on a per day basis.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

GribinIsaf

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Montgomeryshire
    • Gribin Isaf
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2017, 02:11:50 pm »
It might be worth calling a couple of 'hired in plant' insurers to see if they would write you a short term policy. We hired a mini digger recently, and had to get insurance for it. I found several companies who were willing to provide insurance on a per day basis.

Thanks for that suggestion. I have now tried a couple of these and the ones I contacted said they didn't do caravans.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2017, 02:34:59 pm »
Hmmm, I don't know then.

Maybe buy a standard caravan policy, but make sure it's one that you can cancel after a month or whatever and still get most of your money back?
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

GribinIsaf

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Montgomeryshire
    • Gribin Isaf
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2017, 04:08:59 pm »
Hmmm, I don't know then.

Maybe buy a standard caravan policy, but make sure it's one that you can cancel after a month or whatever and still get most of your money back?

Two good ideas in one day.  Thank you.  Will look into that.

Still playing with tractors

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Cumbernauld
  • You can never have enough HP
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2017, 05:16:18 pm »
Try the NFU, they do all our hired in insurance short term as womble mentioned below

GribinIsaf

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Montgomeryshire
    • Gribin Isaf
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2017, 09:00:26 pm »
Talked to someone at local NFU today - they can't do short term cover for this.  Considered taking out a year's insurance and then canceling within the cooling off period but any application needs serial number, age etc - info that is not available and also assurances security devices are fitted.

Just going to drive really carefully tomorrow!

Thanks to all for the suggestions.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2017, 10:55:00 am »
As it's a once only trip, it would probably be cheaper to pay someone that already is insured for towing to bring it for you. Standard charge is about £1/ mile. Ok that's £84 but short term insurance is likely to cost that much by the time you've paid set up and cancellation insurance.

However, I do endorse all those recommendations for the NFU. Agreed they're not in the business of short term insurance, but as your standard insurers they take some beating. All our family cars and farm machinery are insured with them. All car and tractor policies automatically cover any trailers being towed. In addition, if we want to hire a digger for a few days they just add insurance on to one of our policies for nothing. :sunshine: [size=78%] [/size]
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Still playing with tractors

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Cumbernauld
  • You can never have enough HP
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2017, 02:40:03 pm »
you need to speak to your local nfu agent not the call center they are useless

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS