Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Smallholding registration help required  (Read 2290 times)

alfie2244

• Joined Jul 2017
Smallholding registration help required
« on: July 19, 2017, 04:19:03 pm »
In brief;

In the 1970's my recently deceased father purchased about 2.5 acres of land and the seller retained about .5 of an acre with his "tin shack" that he lived in.

At the time it was a "registered smallholding" and this went along with the land my father bought and I distinctly remember seeing this document many years ago.

My understanding was that his registration imparted some extra rights / value to the land as it allowed some living on site in order to run the smallholding.

I am now trying to find this certificate in my father's papers (not his thing) or locate how I clarify the situation without much success via Defra or land registry...any advice would be greatly appreciated..... prepared to pay reasonable sum for professional advice but seem to be going round in circles at the moment  ???

Many thanks in advance

Alf.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
Re: Smallholding registration help required
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2017, 04:51:48 pm »
Registered smallholding usually just means that it has a CPH number.  A County Parish Holding number. i.e. it's registered as a holding to keep livestock.  Can't comment on the bit about rights for someone to live there.

regen

• Joined Jan 2013
Re: Smallholding registration help required
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2017, 05:17:38 pm »
As above and easy to obtain. We had ours cancelled when we moved in then had a new one issued when we decided to keep livestock. I doubt it gives you any special rights unless they are associated with the fact there was somebody living there for x no of years but this was separated when the original sale took place and the retention was for the land minus the shack! If you now own the land and shack and if it is liable you may have some sort of a case but the holding number is not relevant.

Regen

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS