Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Stopping Smoking  (Read 5759 times)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Stopping Smoking
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2010, 07:34:56 am »

It seems that really wanting to stop is half the battle.

And I think believing you can do it. A bloke who used to work for me stopped and didn't find it as difficult as he expected. He then persuaded about 6 other folk at work to stop by telling them it wasn't as difficult as they thought it would be and that they could do it. I think half are still not smoking - which is s pretty good success rate. They had a wee support group at work to do different things when it would have been their "fag breaks".

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2010, 07:47:57 am »
Well done for giving it up -  takes a lot of willpower -

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2010, 08:25:12 am »
I used to smoke 40 a day gave up 8 yrs ago with just willpower. I was sponsored 200 quid by friends at work forchildren in need which gave me an incentive. When 4 of my mates saw how I could do it they did to. Best thing I ever did I feel so much better for it.
So bloody well done you you'll feel so proud of yourself when you say you don't smoke  ;D

WinslowPorker

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2010, 09:23:56 am »
I stopped cold turkey in January for a while so i knew my mind could do it, just needed a little catalyst to stop it again and this time for good. Must admit i feel that i already have it beaten now and its only been 7 days. next thing is to get my wife to stop!!

HappyHippy

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2010, 11:36:26 am »
Good luck WP - hope your success continues  :wave:
I've tried a couple of times to stop, without much success  :-[ but I don't know that I've actually convinced myself that I want to stop......yet !
Us poor woman do have lots of stress - mainly caused by all you men folk, go easy on your wife  :o ;) ;D ;D ;D

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2010, 05:30:02 pm »
I just stopped eleven years ago. The thing that really motivated me (apart from the skin damage) was the "myth" - probably perpetrated by tobacco companies - that it's really really hard to stop smoking. My rebellious side couldn't bear the thought of being taken in by corporate propaganda so I stopped and haven't picked one up or felt like having one since 25th August 1999.

It wouldn't surprise me at all to find that manufacturers of smoking cessation aids are owned by the tobacco companies.

I didn't notice that much of a financial boost when I stopped but I guess over the years - especially as the real price has increased - I must have saved a bit. Now it all goes on agri-gadgets!!
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2010, 05:32:36 pm »
This is it suzie there is alust sumatz that draws yer brass away from yer int there :D :farmer:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

valr

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Brightons nr Falkirk
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2010, 06:10:36 pm »
How's it going WP?

WinslowPorker

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2010, 07:39:03 pm »
Still seems to be going ok, i fatered over the weekend and had a couple but all told i think its 5 fags since last Sunday so very happy!!

valr

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Brightons nr Falkirk
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2010, 07:50:26 pm »
Well done!  ;D

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2010, 08:52:10 pm »
Keep it up mate show us all you have the will power.How are your Princesses.It is raining in Grimsby now lovely tell Jess :D :farmer:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

Jackie

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2010, 05:56:20 am »
Im really rooting for you WP  ;D as I cant give up no matter what Ive tried, and yes I have tried embix.  :'(

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2010, 06:59:08 am »
Hello Jackie No shoutin at George ;D Having met you and Les I cannot believe you cannot stop.You enjoy a fag and don't want to stop and may I say you look bloody well on em anall.We hope you all are well The 1/2 threatened visit didn't happen due to a technical hitch at the transmitter (Claas did not come they had a problem with their transporter.A new date not yet available)  :D :farmer: :wave:

WinslowPorker

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2010, 04:45:02 pm »
Still off the fags and coming up for two weeks nowm, although had acouple over the weekend, but dont think i will bother with any more now

Jackie

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2010, 03:12:50 am »
George I think you have hit the nail right on the head as to why I cant stop smoking, I enjoy a fag and dont really want to stop.

WP be careful cos just when you think you have beaten it is when you get weaker. Keep going.  ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS