Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Update on mixing Dorper x ewes with Ryeland lambs  (Read 1310 times)

Marti615

• Joined Jun 2017
Update on mixing Dorper x ewes with Ryeland lambs
« on: July 16, 2017, 08:45:09 pm »
I bought four gorgeous Ryeland lambs from Rachael Cooper and Matt Price and I couldn't be more thrilled with them. Far from being a worry due to lots of wool, they are the most docile, easy-to-work-with lambs imaginable. You can trim off excess wool with a hand-shear because they mostly just stand there! So while having lots of wool is an issue, removing the wool seems not to be. I am delighted with them.

But what about introducing these gorgeous things to my big, 10 year-old Dorper x's? What did they think of the Ryelands?

They refuse to even acknowledge the existence of my Ryelands. The Dorper x's are completely indifferent. I put up a little fence in the end because I worried the indifference would turn into hostility. I now think that there would be no hostility at all. Just...uh...nothing.  The Ryelands used to call to them but they've stopped that now as the Dorpers took no notice anyway.

I have two tiny herds in a small pasture. It's so weird, but it's fine.

Just thought I would report back. And the Ryelands are the cutest sheep ever.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS