Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Onions  (Read 3413 times)

egbert

• Joined Jan 2010
Onions
« on: July 06, 2010, 07:03:00 pm »
Well I have been out weeding and playing in my veg beds today  ;)  i notice that all of the onions I planted as sets are now sitting mostly or all out of the earth apart from the roots. Is this normal, should I be earthing them up? 

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
Re: Onions
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 05:41:08 pm »

Thats normal you don't need to earth them up.
Anne

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 06:13:14 pm »
No don't and when the tips of the leaves start to wilt and turn brown bend the leaves over just above the neck.When the leaves have withered lift the onions and lay in a row to dry before twisting them together to hand in the shed to dry and store.Youv'e seen the French onion seller on his bike in films surely ??? :D :farmer: :wave:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

valr

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Brightons nr Falkirk
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2010, 09:40:16 pm »
I remember one who came to our village in Scotland when I was a kid! (Late 60s/early 70s)

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010, 07:31:23 am »
Hello again Vair Did you watch the program The Victorian Kitchen and Garden? It featured Ruth Mott as cook at the Big House and Harry Dodson as Head Gardener.Harry showed us all how to string onions with no string.Easy until one tries to do it  ??? ::) :D :farmer:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2010, 10:49:55 pm »
that is a great programme for anyone to watch that is into gardening, harry is a genius when it comes to
the kitchen garden.
we watched it all on dvd, love film we rented it on.
hope all is well for you wizard.
langdon
Langdon ;)

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2010, 07:47:47 am »
Thanks for your support Langdon very good of you .I often wonder if I alone watch these programs? ;D I set my recorder to copy and then tomorrow maybe I load all the trash and the program into my compooter and filter out all the adverts etc; and store on the 1TB drive in this case under Harry and Ruth when its all compiled to my satisfaction I make a (2) Dvd's. I then design a cover picture for the disk and print it on the disk as "This is Harry Dodson and Ruth Mott in Victorian Times copied from the TV programs".The ones on BBC don't need the ads removing but I remove the continuous credits every time I only keep one lot on."How did Ruth make that Brawn Mother" "I cannot quite remember lets play the disk and see" There it is all brought back.I have most of H.F.W's River Cottage ones but I think he lost the plot and left us mere mortals and went into spending money so I don't bother with him anymore I have all of The Victorian Farm with Peter Ruth and Alex at Aston Scott and My own Video's of a year in Lady Yarborough's Walled Garden with the Head Gardener Tom and his team.M'Lady allows me to drive round the garden and park then walk across to the working site.Of course I have to walk in the glass houses. Thats not far but its over 3 acres in the garden.Great. Making a DVD it doesn't puff me out like walking about does Langdon ??? ;D :farmer: :wave:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS