Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: sheared sheep with orf  (Read 2123 times)

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
sheared sheep with orf
« on: July 06, 2010, 05:09:51 pm »
is the wool safe to use from a sheep that has orf. by the way this is our third year with no sign and now we get it any idea how. the herd is closed and has no contact with other sheep.

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
Re: sheared sheep with orf
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 07:43:50 pm »
Its totally safe! Its contact with the pustules with damaged skin that can transmit it to humans!
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

supersean

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 08:00:26 pm »
orf is in the ground as far as i know , and creep feeding water troughs spreads it fast, i spray mine and seperate infected ones, wool will be fine

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 10:01:32 pm »
I have had one of my hoggets with orf in early spring, no others got infected, even though they were all at the feeding through together... cream and antibiotic injection (and separated them for a couple of days after I had seen it) sorted it. Even though my flock came onto this land after it had just been seeded up from arable and no new sheep for two years... so it must be in the ground, fence posts...

It's not so serious if it is outside lambing/sucking time I think.

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2010, 10:09:18 am »
thistles are often carriers too. although like you we are free from it this year we still watch out for it anything that cuts or splinters can cause orf to reappear

Orf can always be serious as there is a risk of lambs passing it to the mothers teats and causing damage to the udder. most recover but it can misshape the teat and make suckling next year more difficult
Ian

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS