Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Anyone know what this is?  (Read 1932 times)

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
Anyone know what this is?
« on: July 06, 2017, 05:38:57 pm »
OH brought some of these home, found in a skip, I use snap hooks for goats so he thought I could use them, but I'm curious about the thing they are in.
Cord pulls through with a ratchet noise, won't reverse unless you move a little Lever in the unit which releases hold
Looks very useful if I can find a use for it, otherwise I break it up and just use the clips ?
Snap hook is just a standard medium size.

cans

• Joined May 2013
Re: Anyone know what this is?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2017, 06:14:34 pm »
Hi
Just shown picture to OH
He reckons it is a ratchety thing for lowering/raising hanging baskets when watering them 

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2017, 06:21:43 pm »
Thanks Cans, interesting idea but I don't think that would work, you would have to have the unit at the top of the line but wouldn't be able to reach the release lever?
I've been wondering about something securing a load, but doesn't seem right somehow.
Keep thinking  :)

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2017, 06:30:21 pm »
Found it
Grow light hangers, or something to do with hydroponics.

Still not sure whether to keep them, will I find a use for them?, or the day after I break them up will I be desperate for a small ratchet and cord  :D

cans

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2017, 08:13:34 pm »
He was close   ;D

Sra

• Joined Jun 2016
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2017, 08:54:41 pm »
Hanging baskets is correct. I inherented a load from an aunt as part of the contents of a house and took them down from the hooks they were on outside. By chance found them in the shed two days ago when I was having a clear out.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2017, 09:29:54 pm »
It actually turned out he took them from a skip where a load of cannabis farm stuff had been thrown (not the plants  ;D ).
So growlights seems the right answer.

Sra

• Joined Jun 2016
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2017, 11:00:24 pm »
Doubt they were designed for that use - can assure you my aunt was not into herb growing but did have a lot of hang baskets lol

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2017, 12:04:19 am »
Doubt they were designed for that use - can assure you my aunt was not into herb growing but did have a lot of hang baskets lol
These must be different than your aunts, if at the top you could pull them up, but you wouldn't be able to reach the little lever to release ratchet to lower it, if on the basket you would have to pull upwards to raise it physically difficult.
Only way I can think of would be to have cord going from basket, up to a pulley, back down to a fitting on a wall where a person could move the ratchet release.
Look up
grow light hanger
Looks to be loads on eBay,  Exact same thing.

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2017, 08:31:23 am »

Only way I can think of would be to have cord going from basket, up to a pulley, back down to a fitting on a wall where a person could move the ratchet release.

I've seen hanging basket things exactly like this.
Anyway, handy little widgets whatever they are from.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2017, 11:34:09 am »
I still can't bring myself to break them up.  More stuff sat around doing nothing  :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS