Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Wild Garlic - Planting questions  (Read 14171 times)

Chaffy

• Joined Jul 2017
  • Northamptonshire
    • The Floating Smallholder Blog
Wild Garlic - Planting questions
« on: July 06, 2017, 02:18:25 pm »
When the nettles start to die back(I'm a chicken when it comes to nettles ::) ) , I want to get into the howe on our land and stuff enough bulbs of wild garlic in there to create a big thick carpet of garlic come the spring, enough that the ponies can have a bit more of a fly free existance (and Zig can have a good snack) and that the nettles wont have quite such a grip too..

So to this end, I have the following questions:

How many bulbs should I get in for the initial planting? (Its about a quarter acre I need to cover)
Is there anything special I need to do when I get planting?
Will I need to remove the nettle roots before I plant?

Thanks in advance  :)
Occasionally I update a blog with my madness and people say "oh I get it now"

https://thefloatingsmallholder.wordpress.com/

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
Re: Wild Garlic - Planting questions
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2017, 02:57:14 pm »
I recieved wild garlic plants a few years ago while still in flower and planted them.  They have spread freely. Mine are under trees though which seem to suit best. Any plant in open ground did not do very well.

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2017, 06:31:12 pm »
They don't like sunshine. Grow the best in the darkest forests. I simply spread seeds under the trees two years ago and this spring had loads of them growing.
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Charlie1234

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Powys
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2017, 07:30:59 pm »
seem to like shady + damp places. I moved here 3 years ago and never saw any wild Garlic,planted seeds+ bulbs along the stream + under the trees,now we have a carpet of the stuff. My chickens love it and after a while you can faintly taste it in their eggs..Luckily i love garlic
5 Dogs,5 cats,40 chickens,2badger faced sheep + a full freezer

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS