Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Can you freeze berries for wine?  (Read 4900 times)

SafeHaven

• Joined Mar 2017
Can you freeze berries for wine?
« on: September 06, 2017, 02:58:41 pm »
I picked some ripe blackberries today but I don't really have enough to make wine yet. What's the best way to store blackberries whilst waiting for the others to ripen? Can I freeze them?

PK

• Joined Mar 2015
  • West Suffolk
    • Notes from a Suffolk Smallholding
Re: Can you freeze berries for wine?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2017, 05:14:14 pm »
Like many others we freeze berries, including blackberries, by laying them out on a backing tray and bagging them up when frozen. They preserve very well this way and remain loose in the bag.

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2017, 01:08:55 am »
We freeze fruit for wine. I just have a resealable bag and add the fruit in as it comes. When it comes to doing the wine I pop the bag in a bowl (or pot depending on size) and allow to thaw before removing the fruit. Put 15lbs of frozen plums into a wine today actually. I boil the water, dissolve the sugar and then add the fruit straight in. Has always worked fine for us.

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2017, 09:41:06 am »
Apparently freezing fruit first helps reduce the pectin level, which results in a clearer wine. Not good if you are making jam, though

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS